Voltage Regulator Decoupling Cap actual calculation

Jack Tranckle

Joined Jan 20, 2016
So I plan to use an LM7805 to regulate 9V to 5V. The recommended decoupling values that are given in the datasheet are used in the simulation below.

Is there a calculation to work out the the required values for the decoupling capacitors? I imagine the loads current is needed, but I am not sure how to work it out. I have it simulated in multisim if it is possible to obtain it from there

Regulator.PNG

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The input capacitor prevents oscillations by neutralizing wiring inductance between the power supply filter capacitor and the regulator input, and is relatively independent of the load current. The output capacitor improves stability, and also improves the circuit's response to large step changes in output current. I go with a minimum of 100 uF in parallel with the 0.1 uF. Some regulator datasheets specify a max value for the total output capacitance, so read all the numbers.

ak

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
If you are playing with a simulation, create at load that switches quite rapidly between some low current (perhaps 50 mA) and some high current (perhaps 800 mA) and observe the effects around the load transitions. With a simple simulation you aren't likely to see any effects due to the input capacitor unless you add a small amount of resistance and/or inductance in the input connection to the 9 V supply to model actual circuit conditions.

If the 9 V source is a battery it may useful to be quite generous with the amount of capacitance at the input, especially if the load is not fairly constant. Battery impedance can be quite high, especially nearing the end of useful capacity.

Some three-terminal regulators can "ring" at the output if a small capacitor with good high frequency performance is used. This is because the transfer function of the regulator looks inductive. In such cases, an electrolytic cap near the regulator output with the high frequency caps at the load will usually prevent problems. A high frequency cap in parallel with the electrolytic is also usually OK.

Negative regulators often require larger capacitance at the output for stability.

Some low drop-out regulators are very fussy about the capacitance at the output and need caps with neither too little nor too much equivalent series resistance (ESR). Newer designs are generally more tolerant but always check the datasheet carefully.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
One way is use Q = C x V, I = C x dV/dT, or C = I x dT / dV

figure out what max load step transient is, how much dV you want
to tolerate over what time period, and compute C.

This is way oversimplified as the regulator has a control loop that
affects this, the Cap has an ESR that also degrades its affectiveness
as a load suppressor.....

But its a crude first pass at the problem.

One warning, some regulators have a minimum ESR allowed in output cap
to keep regulator from oscillating. That's speced in datasheet. The 7805 in
general does not have an issue with this however.

Regards, Dana.