Voltage boosters

Dsmroots

Joined Aug 7, 2014
So I recently picked up a small amplifier/bluetooth receiver from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JB4YWGO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I am planning on using it in an off road vehicle. The vehicle has a 24v system which runs at 27.4v but it is also equipped with a 12v converter running at 13.6 iirc. The amphony amp runs at 36v and I think 2A. It would be much easier to pull power from the terminals off of the converter then to source power off of the 24v simply because of location.

I have found several adjustable voltage boosters online on amazon/ebay. I just figured I would try to get some advice on the best/cheap/smallest solution since I've never used a booster and need it to be reliable and safe so it doesn't fry the circuit of the bluetooth amp.

Thanks in advanced

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The amphony amp runs at 36v and I think 2A. It would be much easier to pull power from the terminals off of the converter then to source power off of the 24v simply because of location.
I'd be very tempted to see if the amp works at 24V (~27V) and forget about a boost. Can't you get 24V at the same place and just as easily as you plan to get 12V?

Dsmroots

Joined Aug 7, 2014
Yeah true. I didn't really think of it that way since I run most accessories off the 12v side. It was supplied with a generic wall wart. I need to test the power off of the wall wart to know what it "should see".

Dsmroots

Joined Aug 7, 2014
Just checked the supplied wall warts voltage and it is a flat 35.9v dc. So with that being said, no one has any suggestions comments or advice on a reliable/cheap power supply?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That converter you linked may be overkill but it sounds fine for the job. Are you thinking you don't want to try to ~27V approach?

Dsmroots

Joined Aug 7, 2014
Yeah I would rather not. I'm not that familiar with what type of amp it is or amps in general but I would rather not starve it of voltage. I don't know if that would hurt the circuitry or anything. So you think that booster I linked would be fine then? I would like to put them both in a nice sealed aluminum enclosure and be done. Just get the voltage adjusted right, run the hot and ground to a nice plug end like maybe a 2.1mm, throw it all together and run the speaker wire. According to the specs of the booster it shouldn't need a cooling fan or anything to keep it all happy but the enclosure may change that a bit. Idk

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes, I think you need to allow it to breath. Those heatsink fins will be neutered if you put them inside an enclosure. They're not there to look at, cool looking as they are! Maybe a perforated box like they put power supplies in.

Dsmroots

Joined Aug 7, 2014
I could easily just cut and mount a little 5cm fan like recommended with an in and out breather port. I just can't have the bare electronics showing. That linked booster has the provisions on the board for a small fan which is why I mentioned that route. Any suggestions? Different booster? Specific enclosure (maybe one with built in cooling fins and or fan).

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think any booster will need airflow if it is trapped inside an enclosure, so you may as well stick with the one you have, unless there is one already IN a vented enclosure. Two birds with one stone.

Dsmroots

Joined Aug 7, 2014
New plan of attack. Run the 600w booster for ease of heat sinking (since the heat sink is on the bottom) with this box which should be the right size for the amp

http://m.ebay.com/itm/370645750442?cmd=VIDESC

And a fan similar to this

http://m.ebay.com/itm/310843642872?nav=SEARCH

Of course I will have to check the output voltage off of the booster to find a matching fan but I would rather run a "snail" type fan to cool both the amp and booster rather than just one with the typical front facing fan. Opinions?

Of course $50 is much more than I was hoping to spend.