Vintage Vespa Turn Signal Lights Project

Discussion in 'Automotive Electronics' started by low profile, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:41 AM.

1. low profile

Thread Starter New Member

Wednesday
    Hi

Using a Vintage Vespa.
    Does not have any signal lights.
    Would like to start a small project by modifying Ampulla Bicycle Light turn signals.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ampulla-Rechargeable-Bike-Tail-Light/dp/B06XXHDQLN

I plan to de-solder 1 bike signal LED each side & connect it to a bigger & brighter LED.
    (Would be adding 2x LED for Rear, 2x LED for Front).
    I guess it wont work as the current driving the small LED is too small to drive the bigger LED.
    So i would need either a relay or transistor to accomplish this.
    Which one should i go for & why?

Ampulla uses 3.7V rechargable battery
    My Vintage Vespa runs 6V AC fed directly from a 6 pole flywheel magneto (nominal 6V),
    does not have any batteries,
    so i plan to use a power bank to charge the Ampulla & drive the new brighter signal lights at the moment.
    In future i plan to run the whole circuit from the Vespa flywheel magneto.

Thanks

2. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Does it have a headlight and tail light now? Never saw a old Vespa without them.

3. Hymie

Mar 30, 2018
    I think the indicator unit you are considering would be OK for the rear of your Vespa, but you will need something different for the front turn signals. However, given that you will want a single switch action to operate both front and back vehicle indicators, I would suggest you investigate an alternate all-in-one solution.

To that end, I would give serious consideration to rectifying the 6Vac from the magneto and use this dc voltage to power whatever you plan to add on. The rectified magneto output will give you 7Vdc (taking into account the bridge diode drop). If your proposed solution operates at 12V, you could add a voltage boost module to achieve this. The cost of a bridge rectifier & voltage booster could be had for less than $10 (depending on the current draw), which is probably minimal in terms of the cost of an all-in-one front/rear turn signal unit.

4. low profile

Wednesday
    It's a Vespa Super 150 1966 model.
    It does have a head light & tail light.

5. low profile

Wednesday
    At Ampulla, there are 5 surface mount LEDS for each side. Was considering to de-solder one each side and wire it to the front & replacing it with a brighter bulp.

I'm looking into "Full-wave Rectifier with Smoothing Capacitor" at https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_6.html.
    Any parameters of the diode that i should consider for automotive use, let me know. Tq

6. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    That is close to the year my friend had back in that time frame(I graduated high school in '66). Why not take power from the headlight circuit for your turn signals? A wire from the 'hot' side of the headlight switch to the center terminal of a double throw switch then from that to left and right turn signals. If you look there are switches made for motorcycles that fit the round handle bar that are used for turn signals This is just the first link I found for what I'm talking about - https://www.amazon.com/Kawell-motorcycle-universal-handlebar-conversion/dp/B008G4YMHY

7. Hymie

Mar 30, 2018
    In terms of the parts required to rectify the 6Vac and boost it to 12Vdc – to give you a large selection of possible turn signal solutions, almost any bridge rectifier with the appropriate current carrying capacity should suffice. You may need a smoothing capacitor across the bridge rectifier output. But the boost module below has an input voltage range of 3V to 35V so should be fairly tolerant to input voltage changes. The output voltage is adjustable from 4V to 40V (but as a boost module cannot be lower than the input). With a rating of 80W (load), it should be plenty enough to drive any LED lighting system you add to the scooter.

I would consider buying a suitable rectifier & boost module and connect it to the scooter 6Vac to see how it performs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-3V...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

8. low profile

Wednesday
    Manage to find a turn signal switch made for later Vespa Model, will use this.

9. low profile

Wednesday
    Certainly more selection for 12V, will be going down this path. Tq