Videoconferencing facilities in Long distance express trains.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Do you mean video conferencing within the train? Or between the train and someplace else? From a friend of mine who provides video conferencing as a service the answer is "YES", but then he states that the benefit is not worth the cost. A satellite video link plus the electronics needed on the train will be very expensive, and it will need a lot of battery power because train power is not suitable for that equipment. AND, the friend stated very clearly that he would not take such a job for any price.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
May everyone should go back to Morse.
Just because something CAN be done does not assure us that it SHOULD be done, and, in addition, there is no promise that if we do it the value of achieving it will be worth the cost or effort TO do it. Really, a voice only conference call would be far less expensive, and unless there are useful images to share, just seeing others instead of only hearing them is mostly for the benefit of those with difficulty in focusing their attention.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
My comment was in reference to that video. That hurt. It's not progress. One of her so called colleges probably passed it along. The hurt that keeps on hurting. Hurts used to go away. No more.

They use to say.....that at judgment day, one answers for all their actions. Now days......you answer for all your actions, everyday, ........before judgment.

I would hate for someone to catch me scratching.

Didn't mean to steal thread. World Wide Video Conferencing is not plug and play yet. But it will probably be so soon. Very wide area and wide bandwidths are coming soon.

Edit: And I would like to keep my TV as a one way transmission.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have no clue as to how post #6 relates, I was discussing the technical aspect of it all. Train logistics are not conducive to things like that,I have been explained to about it. Conference calls are a good alternative and cost so very much less.

prashant.akerkar

Joined Sep 19, 2018
Thanks for your inputs provided.

Scenarios

1 Express train running in USA, Office in USA for Videoconferencing.

I.e. Videoconferencing between the two parties in same country.

2 Express train running in USA, Office in UK for Videoconferencing.

I.e. Videoconferencing between the two parties in different countries.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Some commuter trains offer WiFi at no additional cost above the fare as an inducement to get people out of their cars and into mass transit. You could videoconference but the bandwidth/frame rate might be poor.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
First, at my place of work, we had video conferencing with two other sites across country in the mid-1980's. It is noting new. The only requirement (as stated by others) is money. It is not a technical matter. Video conferencing can also occur aboard aircraft.

As an aside and with regard to cost, a colleague on a committee that met several times a year with people from all over the US at a nice resort had a suggestion for saving money. First, we all fly to a major hub. We reserve the top deck of a 747 for our meeting and depart for a nice destination, e.g., Hawaii, China. The meeting would be held en route. Then we would be free to spend a day or two relaxing. Unfortunately, while that plan might be cost effective,it was considered politically not workable.

I do not know what the costs for video conferencing are today. I suspect they are considerably less than in the 1980's, but airfares are also down. So, rather than consider video conference on various modes of transportation, perhaps someone can present current costs versus face-to-face meetings.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
In reference to post#12, it looks to me that while possibly some air fares have dropped, the cost of those things that used to be free has jumped much higher. And with the present intense security mania flying is no longer even slightly pleasant, and airports are totally miserable places to pass through. Perhaps the experience of others may differ, but I have no intention to fly with airlines any more.

My previous employer had weekly audio conferences among project members in several countries, and they were entirely adequate, since all of the graphics that anybody would need were always emailed in advance. Of course, the participants were engineers and not upper managers, who sometimes come across as "fog-bound" individuals.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@MisterBill2
I agree. I can't understand why anyone would get on a train to have a video conference with someone on another train. Same goes for airplanes and ships.

Staying at your place of work or at home (e.g., a webinar) is a different story.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
@MisterBill2
I agree. I can't understand why anyone would get on a train to have a video conference with someone on another train. Same goes for airplanes and ships.

Staying at your place of work or at home (e.g., a webinar) is a different story.
There are some exceptions. Just as an example the US Air Force One which has an amazing array on on board video conferencing ability. This includes high encryption video conferencing capability. There are also other government departments using high encryption video conferencing.

As to a train? What happens when the train enters a few miles of tunnel?

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There are some exceptions. Just as an example the US Air Force One which has an amazing array on on board video conferencing ability. This includes high encryption video conferencing capability. There are also other government departments using high encryption video conferencing.

Ron
Most everybody else suffers from budget limitations that don't apply to what is done for US Air Force 1. With an unlimited budget of other people's money almost anything can be accomplished.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Ron
https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=86145
The guys at WHCA have some cool stuff. I could have done a tour of duty there in 79 but decided that DC wasn't going to be a sailors dream of wine, women and song.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Most everybody else suffers from budget limitations that don't apply to what is done for US Air Force 1. With an unlimited budget of other people's money almost anything can be accomplished.
I agree but still want to know what happens when the train enters a long tunnel? :)

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=86145
The guys at WHCA have some cool stuff. I could have done a tour of duty there in 79 but decided that DC wasn't going to be a sailors dream of wine, women and song.
That would be some pretty cool duty but along the lines of Marine at Eighth and I in DC. You get to work with cool stuff but and it is the but which makes it strenuous duty. Years ago my brother in law headed security for HMX 1 which hanging with and traveling with presidents is fun it is all spit and polish and extensive away from home. He liked Regan who he served and one other president.

Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That would be some pretty cool duty but along the lines of Marine at Eighth and I in DC. You get to work with cool stuff but and it is the but which makes it strenuous duty. Years ago my brother in law headed security for HMX 1 which hanging with and traveling with presidents is fun it is all spit and polish and extensive away from home. He liked Regan who he served and one other president.

Ron
I already had the clearance for the job but would have needed to extend my active duty a few years to take the posting, that was the real deal breaker.
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...an/1000/1300Assignment/Documents/1306-939.pdf

The shore duty alternatives to DC was Deep Freeze at McMurdo Station (where we keep the second Star-Gate :p) or take Fleet duty. I chose a ship during the talk to the detailer.