Video Format

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I have a lot of VOB Movie Files on My Hard Drive that I Watch all the Time.

Now I got a Projector so I was going to Convert these VOB Files to mkv Format so I can put them onto My SD Card and Play them on My Projector.

I am using Any Video Converter and I Set all My Settings to Original so it will make My mkv but keep the same Bit Rate and Video Size and Frame Size and Audio and everything.

after it Converts the Files they all come to 243 GB in Size.

Now if I do the same thing but Convert My VOOB Files to MPEG 2. they all come out to 217 GB in Size.

Like I Say even if I Convert them to mkv or MPEG 2. I keep all My Settings Set to Original.
So I would Thing MPEG 2. would be the Larger Files?

Can anybody Tell Me what I am not Understanding?

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Both VOB and MKV are only containers for the video.
VOB requires video in MPEG2 format.
From what you say, all that has been done is to change from VOB to MKV container without changing the Video, Audio and Subtitles. The change in size is likely due to overhead differences of the two containers.
Can you compare just one vob file and its corresponding mkv file?

That aside, if your projector plays mkv, it should play videos in mp4 format. That is 1/4 the mpeg2 size without loss of quality.
Opt for the mp4 video codec in the Any Video Converter when converting the vob to mkv. You will save a lot of space.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for all the help.

One more thing about Video Formats I need help with?

I have the JimTab M18 Pro. Projector and they Told Me one of the Video Formats it can Read is mkv Format.

So I used the Program Any Video Converter to Convert all of My VOB Movies to mkv Format.

I put My SD Card into My Projector and it opens all of the Files but as Blank Images.

And I can not Play them at all.

The File Format is 264.mkv is there a lot of mkv Formats that I do not know about?

I Thought I am using an mkv Format that My Projector can not Read.

Or is this the only mkv Format?

Thanks for all the help.

One more thing about Video Formats I need help with?

I have the JimTab M18 Pro. Projector and they Told Me one of the Video Formats it can Read is mkv Format.

So I used the Program Any Video Converter to Convert all of My VOB Movies to mkv Format.

I put My SD Card into My Projector and it opens all of the Files but as Blank Images.

And I can not Play them at all.

The File Format is 264.mkv is there a lot of mkv Formats that I do not know about?

I Thought I am using an mkv Format that My Projector can not Read.

Or is this the only mkv Format?
MKV is just a container, you have to encode the video and audio to the format which projector's inbuilt media player is capable of playing.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Ok so if My Projector can Read mkv Formats then it should Play it.

They Told Me the M18 Pro can Play the mkv Format they did not Tell Me anything more.

So I pick mkv for My Format then what should I do?

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Any Video Converter, by default, uses mp4 video codec and aac audio codec when creating mkv files.
If you have opted for "no change" in your Video / Audio during the conversion, it is likely that the mkv file contains the original mprg2 video that your projector cannot handle.

am using Any Video Converter and I Set all My Settings to Original so it will make My mkv but keep the same Bit Rate and Video Size and Frame Size and Audio and everything.
Simply choose the input vob file, output directory, output as mkv and let the convertor decide the rest of the settings

Ok so if My Projector can Read mkv Formats then it should Play it.

They Told Me the M18 Pro can Play the mkv Format they did not Tell Me anything more.

So I pick mkv for My Format then what should I do?
Think of MKV file format as the book cover and pages, and video and audio as the alphabets in the pages, your projector can flip the pages but it cannot read the alphabets. It's inbuilt media player can only play videos and audio encoded with few codecs, you have to find the codecs it supports and encode your videos and audio with those codecs.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Ok I now Converted My VOB Files to MP4 264 Format and My JimTab M18 Pro. Projector Says Unsupported Format.

But they Told Me to Convert My Files to MP4 Format.

So I do get the MP4 is just a Container so what do I have to do?

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
The confusion is that there is a Video codec, MP4.
There is also a container MP4. :confused:

Do the conversion to mkv, choose the video codec as mp4 and not h.264

JFI: There are many mp4 codecs - Divx, Xvid, mp4, h.264, h.265
The first 2 are old, the mid most popular, the last 2 new.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for all the help.

Now in My MP4. Settings I do See stanet quality and it has these Numbers in the List.
n/a 0. 18 19 20 22 23 51 and I know the Lower the Number the Higher the Video Quality will be.

So n/a Tells Me it will use nothing but what is 0. going to do?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Can anybody Tell Me what the Minimum Bit Rate is in kbps for MPEG 4. X 264 Format?

And what the Maximum Bit Rate is in kbps for MPEG 4. X 264 Format?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for the help.

I found this on Google and I wanted to know if this is Right?

MPEG 2. Video Maximum Bit Rate is 15,000 kbps.
MPEG 4. X 264 Video Maximum Bit Rate is 1,500 kbps.

They Say You can get the same Video Quality as MPEG 2. but with the Low Bit Rate of 1,500 kbps is this True?

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Any compression technique, whether for audio or video (or photographs) removes some bit of information. And that is how the size reduces. And what is lost cannot be got back on decompression.
The algorithm behind the media compression removes that part of the information that your senses does not normally perceive. So, you do not miss what you do not see, or what you do not hear.
However, for archiving purposes, compression is avoided to preserve the "original" information.

For all practical purposes, the Quality is maintained when compressing from MPEG 2 to MPEG4.

Last edited:

frankr2994

Joined Apr 30, 2020
I've always used h.264 compression. Nothing professional though. I usually start with a small clip that has the quality I want and then I see how far I can compress and lower to give me a small file size before I can start seeing or hearing a difference. When you start doing some real compression you need some pretty good hardware or it takes forever. Our Plex server uses hardware acceleration using a GPU to transcode. Supposedly there is supposed to be a difference in quality when using hardware acceleration to do this but I cannot detect it. More on that though. If you don't care about your file sizes and would not want to go through any hassle of changing formats I'd highly recommend making your own local Plex server. Your PC will then transcode any of your content on the fly to whatever format is accepted on the client device. Can I assume you can connect your projector to something like a Roku or a fire stick?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Well I just put all of My VOB Files in Any Video Converter.

They are Movies and TV Show and I Converted then to MPEG 4. H264 and I used a Bit Rate of 1,500 kbps.
Some of them Played in My Projector and some just Say Un Supported File.

Now I know MPEG 4. H264 is Supported and some of them do Play.
So I do the same thing again but use a Bit Rate of 512 kbps.

Every one of the Files Plays.

Now I know they are just being Played by a Projector but am I Right 512 is to Low?

frankr2994

Joined Apr 30, 2020
Well I just put all of My VOB Files in Any Video Converter.

They are Movies and TV Show and I Converted then to MPEG 4. H264 and I used a Bit Rate of 1,500 kbps.
Some of them Played in My Projector and some just Say Un Supported File.

Now I know MPEG 4. H264 is Supported and some of them do Play.
So I do the same thing again but use a Bit Rate of 512 kbps.

Every one of the Files Plays.

Now I know they are just being Played by a Projector but am I Right 512 is to Low?
Only some of them play and you have them all on the same settings? Like you just did a batch run? But then you just changed the bit rate and they all work? I don't know what you have going on.

frankr2994

Joined Apr 30, 2020
And what do you do about different video qualities to start? For example I would not compress a 4k video down to the same quality I would a 480p video. I still say if your projector has an HDMI port I'd stick a Roku on that and start a Plex server. Download and keep video files at whatever format they are in and just play them seamlessly. Not to mention having a remote to browse videos and collections. It's not hard at all to set up. Especially on the local level with no guest.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I did Try taking just one of the TV Show and Converted it to MPEG 4. H264 and used a Bit Rate of 1,500 kbps.

And it Made a File Size of 578 MB and the Projector Compony Told Me in an E Mail to keep My Files under 1. GB and it is.
But My Projector Says Un Supported File.

So I go the same VOB TV Show again and used a Bit Rate of 512 kbps and this Time My Projector Played it.

And I Converted the 1985 Movie Dead Of The Dead to MPEG 4. H 264 and use the Bit Rate of 1,500 kbps and it Made a File Size of 1.17 GB and it Played ok.

So this File was 1.17 GB and Played and they Told Me to keep My Files under 1. GB so I did not understand this.

And the Only Consistency that everything Plays is if I keep My Bit Rate 512 kbps and I know I can use Streaming but I just did not know what was going on?