[VIDEO] Firearms Fundamentals

t_glover

Joined Mar 16, 2021
I would suspect since they were filming a western movie the gun was a revolver.
If it was a gun from that era it would be single action which means you have to pull the hammer back with your thumb to cock it. Newer revolvers can be single and double action.
Double action pulling the trigger will cock and release the hammer. As far as I know almost all firearms that have an external hammer will have a "Half Cocked" position for the hammer
where the hammer is allowed to move part way forward and in doing so locks the trigger and the gun can't be fired until the hammer is pulled all the way back again.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I would suspect since they were filming a western movie the gun was a revolver.
If it was a gun from that era it would be single action which means you have to pull the hammer back with your thumb to cock it. Newer revolvers can be single and double action.
Double action pulling the trigger will cock and release the hammer. As far as I know almost all firearms that have an external hammer will have a "Half Cocked" position for the hammer
where the hammer is allowed to move part way forward and in doing so locks the trigger and the gun can't be fired until the hammer is pulled all the way back again.
The pistol in question had a couple of other unintentional firings in the last week or two. It should have been taken off set at the least to find out why.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What truly sucks about all of this is that protocols were in place to prevent this very type of scenario. Protocols which weren't followed and not just one but several leading to what I called a perfect storm where a sequence of events needs to play out just right for a disaster to happen.

The complaints against Halls include a disregard for safety protocols for weapons and pyrotechnics use, blocked fire lanes and exits, and instances of inappropriately sexual behavior in the workplace.
As my wife pointed out, why did this guy still have a job? It wasn't just him, someone loaded this gun and someone put a live round or more in the gun. No shortage of blame to go around here and Alec Baldwin should shoulder the least of it if any at all.

Ron

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I strongly (maybe wrongly) suspect that Baldwin will get a bye on this one and the blame will lie with whoever loaded the live round into the cylinder. At least that is what the press and movie shills seem to be pushing... Not guilty by reason of stupidity and not by actions.
I agree with you prediction, and in this case, if it is as has been described, I think the call of letting him off the hook is the right one. I don't know how much firearms training he has, probably none. We who shoot, responsibly train ourselves on gun safety. He wasn't there to shoot. He was there to act. According the most recent article, he was handed what should have been a movie prop, to practice his acting. If this happened at a gun range, where he went to practice shooting, and accidentally shot someone with an "unloaded" gun, it would be different. In the case of the shooting range, he would know (because of his training) that it's his responsibility to check that the weapon is unloaded, and even then, not point it in the direction of other people.

Imagine going to an airshow and taking a turn sitting in the cockpit of a fighter jet. You accidentally press a button and a missile that shouldn't have been there, fires into a crowd of people. A trained pilot would have known better than to press that button regardless of whether missiles are loaded, and should have checked his aircraft before allowing civilians into it. It's on the pilot. And I think, this one is on the gun safety guy.

There shouldn't have been any real ammunition on the set, for any reason! The fact that there was, is very suspicious. The fact that this happened multiple times is... more suspicious. I think at best, someone was playing wild west with these guns at night. At worst, someone intentionally loaded it for nefarious reasons.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
What is a non-prop, real firearm/live ammunition doing on a movie set in the first place??
IMO there is absolutely no excuse.
"Props" (short for a "properties") are any item used on a movie set. Fabricated or purchased). Many of the laser blasters and futuristic guns used in movies are cut-off or frames of real guns. Real guns have been used since the beginning of movies. Live ammunition is rarely on a movie set. The question of ammunition on site is the big question - not the gun.

Edit: the big question is why was an assistant director handing the gun to the actor. Apparently there is a long-held policy that the master of the armory heads the gun to the actor and the actor hands it back to the master.

Manufacturing custom props from scratch is very expensive. "Commercial, Off The Shelf" (COTS) is the most common prop category.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I want to have one of those Kimber mini 1911's when I grow up.... Love those little things.
@Reloadron show’d me his and I just had to have it, it’s just the ACP but would like full 1911 just as a mate to this one.

kv

Edit: You just reminded me I have to find or go get some rivets to fix my wife‘s classroom chair for the kids lol

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
What is a non-prop, real firearm/live ammunition doing on a movie set in the first place??
Apparently, some of the crew had been using the pistol in question for target practice when not filming. Which leads me to believe some idiot left it loaded when they put it back up. Real firearms are normally used as props. John Wayne's personal Colt 1873 Single Action Army Revolver (also known as the Peacemaker) in .45 Long Colt that he used in several of his last films along with its holster and several other items were left after his death to a friend and fellow moviemaker. It eventually came to auction and sold for slightly over 500k.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
@Reloadron show’d me his and I just had to have it, it’s just the ACP but would like full 1911 just as a mate to this one.

kv

Edit: You just reminded me I have to find or go get some rivets to fix my wife‘s classroom chair for the kids lol
My cousin has the Kimber compact 1911 45acp and brought it over to shoot at my place and I loved it. I thought I would get one until I saw the price. There's a lot of other things I could do with that money, and I ended up doing those things instead. I thought I would get the Rock Island Armory compact 1911 as the next-best-thing, but after holding it I decided it just wasn't the same. I should have bought it anyway, at the time it was half the price of the Kimber. Now they cost nearly the same.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
The Swiss and the SiG-550 Assault Rifle.

1635214218397.jpeg

Every single man in Switzerland has been given hardcore professional militia training, been handed a government-issued SiG-550 assault rifle, taught how to use it in live-fire exercises, and keeps it in his home just in case anyone ever decides to step to his country's Badass Neutrality clause. The idea is simple – don't step to us, and we won't bash your head in with a magazine full of 5.56mm NATO ammunition.
As a Descendant of Swiss Mercenary, first thing my 4th great grandfather did after stepping off the boat is to enlist when asked to serve, in our family I learned to clean guns, shoot, firearms safety around 6 years old, I couldn’t hunt until later, but knew the responsibility of a Weapon, and what purpose it was for, put food on the table, we have a significant range but nothing of Military issue. (4 - .30-06), .243, .270, .22, .308, BAR, .300 win mag.

.243 is mine.

1635215697896.jpeg

kv

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The Swiss and the SiG-550 Assault Rifle.

Every single man in Switzerland has been given hardcore professional militia training, been handed a government-issued SiG-550 assault rifle, taught how to use it in live-fire exercises, and keeps it in his home just in case anyone ever decides to step to his country's Badass Neutrality clause. The idea is simple – don't step to us, and we won't bash your head in with a magazine full of 5.56mm NATO ammunition.
Where did you get that quote about Swiss men getting a Sig? My Swiss coworkers seemed to get queried about this at every business meal I've had with them. Their version is, every male does military training and is issued a Rifle OR a pistol. When they finish their military service, they have a chance to buy the gun that was issued to them. In recent years, it has become less and less common for the person to purchase the gun. Gun ownership overall has been falling in Switzerland - there is no requirement that every family own/possess a gun.

When they are done explaining the situation, they laugh and ask where Americans find these weird stories about Switzerland.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Where did you get that quote about Swiss men getting a Sig? My Swiss coworkers seemed to get queried about this at every business meal I've had with them. Their version is, every male does military training and is issued a Rifle OR a pistol. When they finish their military service, they have a chance to buy the gun that was issued to them. In recent years, it has become less and less common for the person to purchase the gun. Gun ownership overall has been falling in Switzerland - there is no requirement that every family own/possess a gun.

When they are done explaining the situation, they laugh and ask where Americans find these weird stories about Switzerland.
That is true, our military doesn’t use Rifles meant for Hunting, an assault rifle could potentially be used to hunt deer or elk, no need for a Machine Gun that is simply not logical, but my rifle would work well as a defensive weapon, <Sniper>, smaller calibers such as .243 is good for Coyote, now I understand that in some areas, the Wolf populations have grown out of control again threatening livestock, and will be added to hunts in some areas. The quote infers that they are handed a .gov issued SiG then trained, then having a weapon is to that persons ideal to own one or not, that would also be true. Didn’t say .gov issue was in every home hanging above the fire place, that is what you assumed.

In earlier time periods, your training and service to the nation in this case war torn Europe left you vulnerable to any invader, they or those individuals you speak of fail to know their own history, that is their problem to understand where these notions come from by Americans, historians alike tell the same story from differing perspectives but even those in the area will all agree, many forces have moved through the alps from one location to another, Hitler left them alone during WWII because he would have to many losses, so moving on them wasn’t a part of the game plan. The Nation was to well armed and trained, Hitler was no fool.

Down through the centuries this has been the case in Switzerland, to the early 1300’s, when they used the Halberd as a can opener to destroy mounted Knights, one such victory boasted, killing 2000 Mounted Knights while only loosing 12 Swiss, what? Unheard of? A mounted Knight was paramount to a Tank, infantry didn‘t step to that, but the Swiss did. They still display it while guarding the pope. Yes, it is pomp and circumstance but in earlier time periods it was very serious business, either hand held Halberd, Pike or Spear. Deploying a trained armed force to defend ones nation is their history, seems your pals have lost theirs.

I would not doubt this is the case today, it only requires a short time period for people to loose the bases of their ancestors struggles, blood, loss of life to defend ones country. I choose not to forget, we tell such stories in our family and is a great honor to remember them, it is dishonor to forget them, to your pals I say shame on you, children of the fallen that came before you, only to scoff and discard your own history. Frankly it’s offensive to me, because their DNA is also in me, I say go back and learn your heritage or loose it to history like so many other cultures and societies.

<Shaking Head>

kv

Edit: Tell them to look up their own URL’s for that information, it’s everywhere. I don’t need to assist someone unwilling to look for themselves.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
IMO there is absolutely no excuse.
Ya, this morning. I learned their was an individual shown in a picture to be in charge of the firearms, apparently the same gun used for Target Practice that day was the offending gun, it seems to me this Thread is so valuable. The mis-handling of a Weapon, Firearm, or other doesn’t matter, to misunderstand the potential danger and the actual use vs misuse. Education Importance, some people think they know, but have no real experience, big difference is real world experience and training. Ultimately in my view is the real reason for this tragedy, the negligence, the ignorance is palpable.

kv

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
As usual, they are screaming elimination instead of education... Typical knee jerk reactionaries. It they applied their same reasoning to automobiles we'd all be walking.
I'd have to disaree slightly with that,. The education part yes but the elimination part would be the armorers fault. From all of the movie armorers so far they say it was being done wrong by that young woman. They claim they don't just"hand" gun to anyone without proving it's unloaded when it's called a cold gun. They also say the armorer should be the only one other than the actor should never handle any on set gun.