[VIDEO] Firearms Fundamentals

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I do have a sword, it's a United States Marine Corps NCO Sword. A gift from my wife and it includes the scabbard. That's my only sword. :)

Ron
Recently Retire is my good friend, sold his Property, was a Maaco. Retired well, property will net 1.7million, thats not the point, lol there I go again.

Sorry, I like that word “Point” the point is there not cheap (Swords), hand forged isn’t. I was able to learn he has a friend, he owns a company, a Machine shop/Foundry he obtained his Swords because he can, but if you like authentic, you need a craftsman. We’ll see where that goes, I’ll pay you for a Hamburger on Tuesday for a Burger today.

My Garage will need historical artifacts either created or obtained, manuscripts/books, other. It will become a Recording Studio, Podcasts, Website Dev, Marketing.

My study will be in the house, the library will bleed out from their to the Garage, which is attached to the main library, oh did I tell you I collect books?

AbeBooks.Com, ebay, amazon, other resources great for books. I like AbeBooks.com lightly used books as an option rather than paying full price.

kv

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
This post almost went unnoticed. You don’t need to live in the 1940‘s but, you can rewind further, to a time before fire arms. Those (tools) weapons, were replaced by pointy thingy’s.

Knifes, Spears, Swords. It happens to be another collectable I haven’t been able to afford because I have nowhere to display them. I collect Guitars, which have earned a name (Axe’s) I left that out for good reason.

I will begin to collect Swords, Knifes, Spears, Axe’s. I already have a collection of Heavy Metal in the form of Records vinyl lol

Anyone else have a passion for the above?

kv

Edit: I really enjoy History Channel “Forged in Fire”
I don't understand the need for people to collect more things than they can need, let alone collecting more things than you can use. One guy on another electronic forum was proud to say he had some large number of volt meters. Why? How many guitars does someone need? Several rock-n-rollers just started giving away their guitars because they'd rather have some kids playing them than have them sitting in closets or hanging on walls - getting sun faded and warped. I like guys like Willy Nelson who managed to get through most of their careers with one guitar.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I don't understand the need for people to collect more things than they can need, let alone collecting more things than you can use. One guy on another electronic forum was proud to say he had some large number of volt meters. Why? How many guitars does someone need? Several rock-n-rollers just started giving away their guitars because they'd rather have some kids playing them than have them sitting in closets or hanging on walls - getting sun faded and warped. I like guys like Willy Nelson who managed to get through most of their careers with one guitar.
I don’t know about others on this site, but I play all not some of my Guitars so, I have no idea where your coming from, I also collect coins and books and make money selling them. So, I take some offense to your comment.

Why?

kv

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I don’t know about others on this site, but I play all not some of my Guitars so, I have no idea where your coming from, I also collect coins and books and make money selling them. So, I take some offense to your comment.

Why?

kv
I still don't understand how/why some stamp or coin is worth more than face value or why a used stamp has any value. I understand capitalism and all, rarity of the item, but think about it. It the coin is still a dime or quarter, it only has excess "value" because someone has more money than common sense to pay more than face value for it. You make money with your collecting because, you are a dealer in collectibles. But, at some number of years from now, most people will find no value in any coins because they never used the coins - it was never part of their history.

my favorite story about collecting was a local guy who collected Federalist furniture. He made the furniture his retirement nest egg and through the 1960s through the 1990s he out big money into some pieces that kept appreciating and he claimed his collection was worth $800k or more. From 2000 to 2015 he would tell me about the great finds he came across and tremendous deals. In that era he displaced all the furniture in his 4-bedroom house with Federalist pieces in mint condition. Finally, in 2015, his health had degraded and his family decided he needed to go into a long term care facility. They arranged an auction, invited all of his dads old contacts in furniture resale and antique dealers. Even big names from New York, Philadelphia and Boston. Only a handful of people showed up, All the pieces went at low prices. The dealers explained to the disappointed family that the younger generation has moved on from Federalist furniture. Anyone buying used/antique furniture of value is looking for mid-century modern era. Ultimately, the stockpile that the collector though would always appreciate and be worth $1.5 to 2.5M sold for under $200k. Not much of a nest egg.

I don't think I ever bought something exactly like or similar to something I already own. That makes "collecting" difficult.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
We only used the sword on slimy pollywog officers.

View attachment 250239
:) Shellback here. Got the card and certificate, been there and done that. :)

I still don't understand how/why some stamp or coin is worth more than face value or why a used stamp has any value. I understand capitalism and all, rarity of the item, but think about it. It the coin is still a dime or quarter, it only has excess "value" because someone has more money than common sense to pay more than face value for it.
When something is in limited numbers and there is a demand it commands a price. Not just to anyone but to those who want it. I have never known a stamp collector to have just a single stamp and call it a collection. Things which are rare command a premium to to right collector. While I see collecting furniture as a fools errand it's apparent some people collect furniture. The fact that you don't understand why a certain stamp or coin can be worth thousands to a collector is here nor there. I look at things this way, any stamp, coin, gun or anything is worth on any given day what someone is willing to pay for it, no more and no less. The fact that you have no desire to buy an item or own it really matters not as long as someone else does want it and will pay a price for it. I don't collect stamps or coins, I have a few of interest but that's it. I do collect Colt Series 70 MK IV government models but none of mine are safe queens, they get fired. I don't collect them gambling on values but simply because I enjoy shooting them. I don't collect swords but I have one as mentioned above.

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I collect things for pure enjoyment, nothing more.

It must be that regressive pack rat gene.
Funny I have friend I’m helping move, he literally has the money to replace anything, yet he has some of the…(BLEEP) things I can’t believe for reasons only he knows, tell you what he’s got a really cool collection of Swords though.

Knifes are cool too. I think spears also on my Man Cave wall ya oh ya.

kv

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
:) Shellback here. Got the card and certificate, been there and done that. :)

When something is in limited numbers and there is a demand it commands a price. Not just to anyone but to those who want it. I have never known a stamp collector to have just a single stamp and call it a collection. Things which are rare command a premium to to right collector. While I see collecting furniture as a fools errand it's apparent some people collect furniture. The fact that you don't understand why a certain stamp or coin can be worth thousands to a collector is here nor there. I look at things this way, any stamp, coin, gun or anything is worth on any given day what someone is willing to pay for it, no more and no less. The fact that you have no desire to buy an item or own it really matters not as long as someone else does want it and will pay a price for it. I don't collect stamps or coins, I have a few of interest but that's it. I do collect Colt Series 70 MK IV government models but none of mine are safe queens, they get fired. I don't collect them gambling on values but simply because I enjoy shooting them. I don't collect swords but I have one as mentioned above.

Ron
Gee, thanks for the economics lesson and an even bigger thanks for missing my point, I guess I used the term rarity in a way that you did not understand. I also love how every conversation on this forum eventually turns to guns, knives or Covid.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Gee, thanks for the economics lesson and an even bigger thanks for missing my point, I guess I used the term rarity in a way that you did not understand. I also love how every conversation on this forum eventually turns to guns, knives or Covid.
Well let's see. We are in an Off Topic forum area and the topic of the thread was GI training films about guns and older guns dating back to WWII or before. For those of us who are familiar with the guns the videos are interesting. I have a few of the war babies discussed in the old films. Just makes for interesting stuff to some who can relate, For those who the films make no sense to it's a been there and done that type thing. Like a shellback verse wog thing. There is other trivia like this:

yellow footprints.png

Some will understand and some not.

Ron

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The title says, "Funniest negligent discharge ever". I don't think so.
Edit: ok, maybe this list is better described as "negligence during discharge"

1634279079054.gif

1634279101252.gif

1634279152104.gif

1634279172752.gif

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My days for large cartridges ended about 10 15 years ago. The 7mm Rem Mag is no longer one I like to shoot let alone anything with more recoil. Today I still shoot the 30-06 Springfield in moderation but will shoot .308 Win all day on the range. The fellow in the video appears to even have a shoulder patch shooting light jacket.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Shooting the mighty .700 Nitro Express double rifle. 1,000 grain bullets moving at 2,000 feet per second. Round cost $125 per shot and the gun cost $250,000.

Many years ago, a couple of the local good ole boys here came into the hardware store and told the owner they wanted to buy the biggest rifle he had. Don told them he didn't have one in stock but he could get them a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .458 Wincheter Magnum. So the brothers put their money down and Don ordered the rifle. It can in a few weeks later and the brothers picked it up along with a box of shells for it. They came back the next day and told Don they wanted their money back. They only shot it once and it rattled the both of them pretty good and the other brother didn't even want to try shooting it. Not exactly what you would use around here for deer and hog hunting.

I've got a Ruger 77 in .270 (necked down 30-06) but with the brushy condition here did most of my hunting with an old Marlin 336 .30-30. That and my Belgian Browning A5 12 ga. Also carried my S&W 6" Stainless 686 in .357 with the old walnut target grips in a shoulder holster so I could get at in my chest waders. Never can tell when you will run up on a hog in swamp while duck hunting.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
My days for large cartridges ended about 10 15 years ago. The 7mm Rem Mag is no longer one I like to shoot let alone anything with more recoil. Today I still shoot the 30-06 Springfield in moderation but will shoot .308 Win all day on the range. The fellow in the video appears to even have a shoulder patch shooting light jacket.

Ron
Being a old M-14 guy my hunting rifle is a BROWNING BLR .308. Easy to shoot and reload.

Attachments