VFD as a Fq. Convertor for Machine to be used in China

Giant

Joined Nov 5, 2016
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for frequency conversion from North American 120V/60hz to Chinese 220v/50hz service?

(I am involved in building a machine that is to go to China and am in Canada.)

I am considering using a VFD to adjust the fq into a three phase transformer and draw off one incoming phase to achieve a single phase output.
(I suspect that this will require some tuning of the VFD fq to achieve 50hz.)

I know there is a lot of safety circuitry and status monitoring of VFDs so I am not completely confident that it will allow such a configuration.
(Load considerations as well as differential voltage drops across the 3 phases.)

I am curious to know if anyone has tried this, or if anyone can make a suggestion for a device to vary AC frequency.

(Suspected service requirement will be about 12 Amp @ 120V/60hz... Probably about 10 Amp at 220V/50hz.)

Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is the equipment you are shipping frequency sensitive?
VFD's traditionally do not like any load that is not balanced or anything not closely resembling a 3ph motor.
Max.

Giant

Joined Nov 5, 2016
yes. There is many electronic components that list 60hz as required. I suspect they may work at 50hz. I just want to make sure. I already have a vfd available at the shop. It has no manual. I thought someone could give insight. I now know that the vfd will not accept an un balanced load. I will try that inverter. If things are ok at 50hz thats great. If 50hz is required i may have to use a fq converter. Thanks for the link strantor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You still haven't listed the actual devices you have doubts about, if this info is furnished in more detail, a suitable answer could be more forthcoming.
Max.

Giant

Joined Nov 5, 2016
Its an omron plc. Nj series. A lot of solonoid valves. A hydraulic motor 1/3 hp. An air compressor. 8 servo drives. Ethernet hub. Some flourescent ballasts. its still in design stages so there might be more added.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
There is many electronic components that list 60hz as required. I suspect they may work at 50hz. I just want to make sure.
Wait, so you're designing a 60Hz panel and sending it with the (50Hz converter, whatever it may be) permanently installed? I assumed you were designing a 50Hz panel to be sent to a 50Hz country, and you needed a 50Hz power supply to test it before sending it off.

IMHO if you are designing a panel you know is going to a certain country, you should design it for that country. You should not design it for your own, and then ship a brand new product out with a giant bandaid on it.

Giant

Joined Nov 5, 2016
Yeah and we got 50/60hz wherever we could. Some of it we had already and want to see if it will work at 50hz. I dont disagree with your logic but for 50$ to test what we have already why purchase new?

Giant

Joined Nov 5, 2016
And if i was to ship it out needing 60hz for some of the components i would get a suitable fq changer. It may be more economical than purchasing all new equipment.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So what kind of customer buys a system apparently built out of second hand/surplus devices that are not rated to be compatible with their local power systems especially when everything you have listed can be found cheaply and easily in the correct ratings for the end user? o_O

Everything you have said so far comes off as highly questionable and very poorly planned out at this point. :(

Especially so given the power supplies can find that are for the Omron NJ series PLC system are all universal input types that work with any power source frequency and voltage.

So which items in specifics are not 50/60 hz rated and why are you using them knowing they may not be compatible?

Giant

Joined Nov 5, 2016
Forget it man. Ill figure it out. I just wanted to know if this vfd would work as a fq convertor... I guess the electronics will work fine at 50hz. Thats great. I hadnt even got that far into it yet. These motors may be a different story. Maybe ill need different motors. Maybe ill need a fq convertor. Maybe it will be fine. I dont think its a huge deal to have a fq conversion unit as part of a machine. I was just trying to conduct a test and was curious if this vfd could be used... I know now that it cannot.