Very expensive power adaptor

neocronix

Joined Mar 2, 2016
So i have a fully working bluetooth speaker, the Sony RDP-XF100IP, however the power adaptor broke.
In a sony service center they ask 135 euros for a new one because they dont make them anymore and that is more than i am willing to pay.
i have found some very cheap replacements, but i dont have a lot of confidence in them and the companies/ shops they come from have very bad ratings. Would it be possible to repair the power adaptor myself? I've repaired some powertools and built some pc's but never a power adaptor.
The original power adaptor is the sony AC-S20RDP, AC to 20V, 2.5A DC.

thanks in advance

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I suspect that most any common laptop power pack that puts out anything around 18 - 22 volts and has an amp rating of 2.5 or more would power it just fine.

neocronix

Joined Mar 2, 2016
I suspect that most any common laptop power pack that puts out anything around 18 - 22 volts and has an amp rating of 2.5 or more would power it just fine.
So i just cut off the connector of the old adaptor and connect it to an old laptop charger?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So i just cut off the connector of the old adaptor and connect it to an old laptop charger?
Yes. Check and recheck that you have the polarity right. If you want to do a nice job including heat shrink tubing over your splice, don't forget to slide the tubing on before you solder.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
And after you're done checking the polarity, check it again. And when it is all assembled and ready to plug in, check it again. If you are familiar with the adage "measure twice, cut once", this is one of those measure-17-times situations.

ak