Very basic quesion about soldering a small circuit board onto a "protoboard"

Roger at CCCC

Joined Jun 8, 2009
Very basic question: I have a small circuit board that has headers already soldered onto it. I want to solder these headers to a "protoboard" and then attach other components to the protoboard. However, when I do that the original circuit board is suspended above the protoboard about an eighth of an inch with no support except for the solder joints on the headers. This doesn't seem like a good idea but I'm not sure what to do about it. Is it typical to just leave the original circuit board suspended, assuming that the solder joints can take the very small amount of stress from the weight of the small circuit board? Or is it more typical to put something underneath the small circuit board to support it? But in that case, what's the best thing to use to do that? A picture of the best way to securely attach the small circuit board to the protoboard in this situation would be very helpful. Sorry for the very basic question, but I haven't done this very much. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Very basic question: I have a small circuit board that has headers already soldered onto it. I want to solder these headers to a "protoboard" and then attach other components to the protoboard. However, when I do that the original circuit board is suspended above the protoboard about an eighth of an inch with no support except for the solder joints on the headers. This doesn't seem like a good idea but I'm not sure what to do about it. Is it typical to just leave the original circuit board suspended, assuming that the solder joints can take the very small amount of stress from the weight of the small circuit board? Or is it more typical to put something underneath the small circuit board to support it? But in that case, what's the best thing to use to do that? A picture of the best way to securely attach the small circuit board to the protoboard in this situation would be very helpful. Sorry for the very basic question, but I haven't done this very much. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Since the whole assembly is going to see a good bit of handling I agree with your concerns. Thick two-sided tape or a glob of silicon sealer maybe?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have a small circuit board that has headers already soldered onto it. I want to solder these headers to a "protoboard" and then attach other components to the protoboard.
Male or female headers? Lead length? Size of the small circuit board?

Post pictures.

Use paragraphs.

FWIW, I have used female header strips to mount "daughter" boards with male headers (wirewrap strip in this case). The board is around 1.5"x2".
upload_2016-2-8_16-19-16.png

Roger at CCCC

Joined Jun 8, 2009
Connecting to Protoboard.jpg
Thanks for your comments. I've attached a picture above of what I am trying to do. In the picture, the small circuit board is on the right with male headers pointing downward. The Protoboard is on the left. The question is: do I need to do something to support the small circuit board so its weight doesn't rest only on the solder joints? (I haven't soldered the headers to the Protoboard yet.) Sorry for the amateurish look. Thanks again for any suggestions.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
View attachment 100307
Thanks for your comments. I've attached a picture above of what I am trying to do. In the picture, the small circuit board is on the right with male headers pointing downward. The Protoboard is on the left. The question is: do I need to do something to support the small circuit board so its weight doesn't rest only on the solder joints? (I haven't soldered the headers to the Protoboard yet.) Sorry for the amateurish look. Thanks again for any suggestions.
It might be alright if it were not cantilevered out like that. To add insult to injury it looks like it would get a lot of handling due to the sockets and plugs.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I've done precisely that many times. Keep in mind that the proto board is just that. It only had to hold together long enough for you to get the circuit designed. :)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The question is: do I need to do something to support the small circuit board so its weight doesn't rest only on the solder joints? (I haven't soldered the headers to the Protoboard yet.)
If you mount both boards to another board, you can support with spacers and/or standoffs.

In this example I made a support from copper clad and tacked to the bottom of the board to support it.
upload_2016-2-8_19-13-0.png

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
For short term evaluation of a design, it will probably be okay. However, since there at least two connectors that I can see, if this is a long term endeavor, then fill the space under the board with GOOP or something. A solder joint isn't very reliable when there is no mechanical support for it - especially with constant handling.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
View attachment 100307
A rubber foot for something less permanent?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Stuff a block of styrofoam into the gap? Or do you have space on both boards to drill and put a bolt through them?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What Alec t said. For proto work I will oft use long screws and lots of nuts to secure a long screw to the base and then use a pair of nuts to hold the flying board.