Varta battery charger repair feedback

Bazzie91

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Hey guys .. had this battery chargers pcb destroyed .. and was trying to fix the input for the AC power cable

Now I am a beginner in electronics.. so was looking for someone who can double check before I burn my house down

I attached a pic .. 20191125_230936.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
1574722276301.png
The solder doesn't seem to have flowed well or there's too much solder. Did the wire attach points have holes? Or is it just soldered to the surface?

Does the case have a way to prevent stress on the wires?

Bazzie91

Joined Oct 20, 2019
I soldered to the pad of the diode .. mount hole broke off the pcb .. was in a moving box that fell xd .. and if I lessen up on the solder is it gonna stay connected .. I salvaged a donor housing for the unit . So cable stress will be minimal ..

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
if I lessen up on the solder is it gonna stay connected
In theory, the solder is to provide an electrical connection, not a mechanical connection.

The fact that the solder is balled up is a concern. A cold joint may not give you a low resistance connection and temperature cycling can cause it to crack. This can also occur in good solder joints.

Are there other points that are electrically connected to that diode? Is there a trace that you can expose that will give you more surface area to solder to?

Here's some info regarding solder joints:
1574730371995.png

Bazzie91

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Thanks for the explanation About the solder joint ..the diode is part of the rectifier circuit .. the first in set .. there is no other lead connected than the trace that broke with the pcb piece that is was on .. .. is there any way to test this with low volt .. that if I messed up there is anything left to salvage .. other than BBQ.ed smd components?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
there is no other lead connected than the trace that broke with the pcb piece that is was on
I'd remove the wire, put flux on the pad and wire, and resolder trying to get a better joint. Instead of having the stranded wire almost perpendicular to the pad, I'd lay it on its side to insure good contact.

Do something similar for the green wire.

Bazzie91

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Will do . .. do you guys know any good sources for beginner tutorials and simplified explanations of all the terminology ..and working behind the electronics ..

Or many a recommended YouTube channel or book that's a must have

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Will do . .. do you guys know any good sources for beginner tutorials and simplified explanations of all the terminology ..and working behind the electronics ..

Or many a recommended YouTube channel or book that's a must have
None that I'd recommend. I find most of them tedious.

There was one guy that was explaining how Phased Lock Loops (PLLs) work. He was knowledgeable and didn't have an irritating voice. But I've only watched a couple of his videos and can't even remember his handle.

Do you have anyone local to you that would take you under their wing?

Bazzie91

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Okay thanks anyway .. will fix the suggested soldering in the morning .... Can I put low voltage DC, after rectifier to test for shorts or is that a no go .. like 3-5 v . With current limit at lowest it wil go at given voltages or does this not apply to the situation mensioned