Varistor/Rheostat

NatashaK

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Hi All

First post here, so please go easy on me! :)

Im having a bit of trouble with a practice paper question I have been given.

The question is:

Explain its operation and suggest one advantage of this type of circuit over a rheostat operated circuit.

12282087_906086752772524_1821109321_o.jpg

Now I understand that a varistor changes its output as voltage increases/decreases and is dependant on voltage.

Also that rheostats control the resistance without interrupting the current flow..

But I fail to see why that would be better in this light dimmer module?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Natasha

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Varistors are used for Over voltage protection and surge suppression.
A rheostat is just one big variable power resistor.

The circuit Natasha showed can use a rheostat instead of a variable low power resistor.
The Rheostat is big and consumes power and should be rated according to load.
The circuit uses little variable resistors, The transistor does all the extra power dissipation.
Ask ur self this. What is expensive and bigger ?

NatashaK

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Thanks very much R!f@@, Thats a hard name to type! haha

Something big, bulky and a power consumption is not good for a lighting circuit, I now understand :) - Thanks very much

Just to clarify here, Power comes in from the top, the switch opens and closes the circuit, then the base needs to have a voltage higher than the diode (typically 0.7v to open the diode), which is controlled by the variable resistor on the dimmer, then current will flow to illuminate the lamp?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Your Welcome
Just to clarify here, Power comes in from the top, the switch opens and closes the circuit, then the base needs to have a voltage higher than the diode (typically 0.7v to open the diode), which is controlled by the variable resistor on the dimmer, then current will flow to illuminate the lamp?
Yup. Something like that. The Pot controls the base voltage, there by controlling the CE current flow.
But typically the load should be in the collector not in the emitter.