Using transistors to increase the voltage with grounded emitter

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Phil,
I have found that 10mA or 15mA is sufficient segment current for good 'readability'.
Have you finalised the Driver IC type.?
E

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
You did say you have common anode displays, right?

The MAX7219 is designed to directly drive common cathode displays.

In order to interface the MAX7219 with a common anode display you will need inverting high side drivers at the digit side, and inverting low side drivers at the segment side.

So the ULN2003 should work on the segment side, but the UDN2981 does not invert so you will need to invert the digit side before the drivers, or find inverting high side drivers.

If I’m wrong please feel free to correct me, because it’s kind of hard to get a complete picture without a diagram, and I don’t want to mislead you.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

You got it! The TS has already identified the displays as common anode in response to an earlier post of mine. And Sensacell also identified the ULN2003 as the chip to drive the segments.

Philatphil

Joined May 10, 2019

In order to interface the MAX7219 with a common anode display you will need inverting high side drivers at the digit side, and inverting low side drivers at the segment side.

So the ULN2003 should work on the segment side, but the UDN2981 does not invert so you will need to invert the digit side before the drivers, or find inverting high side drivers.
OOPs!! The high side is OK now i think but we need a need a positive signal from the MAX7219 for each segment. Maybe I can find a version of the MAX7219 with designed for common cathode or as you say an inverter could be found.
Thanks
Phil

Philatphil

Joined May 10, 2019

What about using a second transistor array to invert the signal all on the low side
Phil

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
“What about using a second transistor array to invert the signal all on the low side”

I don’t see how.

I think you may be stuck using discrete PNPs at the digit side.

Philatphil

Joined May 10, 2019
“What about using a second transistor array to invert the signal all on the low side”

I don’t see how.

I think you may be stuck using discrete PNPs at the digit side.[/QUOTE
The MAX7219 is producing a positive signal for each segment to the UND2981 which is directing each segment cathode to ground so it should work unchanged or there is something I am not seeing.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
“The MAX7219 is producing a positive signal for each segment to the UND2981 which is directing each segment cathode to ground so it should work unchanged or there is something I am not seeing.”

Yes, what you are not seeing here is that the UDN2981 cannot direct anything to ground, because it is a high side driver. (non-inverting high side driver) (positive in-positive out)

The ULN2003 will direct the segments to ground. (inverting low side driver) (positive in-negative out)

Philatphil

Joined May 10, 2019
“The MAX7219 is producing a positive signal for each segment to the UND2981 which is directing each segment cathode to ground so it should work unchanged or there is something I am not seeing.”

Yes, what you are not seeing here is that the UDN2981 cannot direct anything to ground, because it is a high side driver. (non-inverting high side driver) (positive in-positive out)

The ULN2003 will direct the segments to ground. (inverting low side driver) (positive in-negative out)
Thank you . I was misinterpreting the UNL2003 design