Using a Washing machine motor as a generator.

ElectroBoy7

Joined Dec 22, 2015
Hello everyone, I have a few questions and I think this is the right place to ask.

My washing machine's motor was just replaced (I don't know what went wrong) and now I have this bad boy lying around and I decided to investigate and create a wind generator. I'm not looking for a big percentage of efficiency, I'm just looking forwards to learn a lot of things with this small project.

So, this is the motor that is "broken" (again, I don't how a motor can be broken if it is just basically wires and a rotor. DISCLAIMER: I apologize for my bad English, I just don't know how to explain this part in the best way.) XDT-150 4681EA1005D and it came on a LG washing machine.

I've been gathering info about what and how to do to make a generator because I know there is a difference between a motor and a generator and I came across a few good pages which are:

1. http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/32303 -> Explain a bit of theory and difference in the second reply.
2. http://www.yourgreendream.com/diy_fp_rewire.php -> More theory and an example which is not too helpful because his motor is different to mine.
3. http://bricolaje-de-la-energia-libr...royecto-de-transformacion-de-un-motor_10.html -> A page in Spanish which has some diagrams which can help.
4. https://www.element14.com/community...-as-a-generator?displayFullThread=true#114747 -> More info

My questions are:

1. Which configuration - star or delta - does my motor have?
2. In some of the pages I've listed, they talk about "rewiring" which consists, basically on cutting wires and joining them back in a different way. Am I forced to do that? And if so, what should I be cutting and joining? And nonetheless, why is this step a must? I mean, why shall we do it? What will change and why do we need it to be that way?

I'm now posting photos of the motor, I hope it can give a better explanation for itself:

DSC_0539.JPG

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1. Which configuration - star or delta - does my motor have?
Based on your location, nobody knows, but residential appliances generally don't have 3 phase motors.
You can rewind the motor. You probably must do that to accomplish anything because the windings have failed.
I don't know if you can excite this with a winding to provide magnetism. Somebody else will have to help with that part.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The Fisher-Paykel 3ph motors you show are often used as generators but they have P.M. field, your motor appears to be a 3ph star connected induction motor, hence no field in the rotor until under power.
If it is 3ph then it probabally precedes the Fisher version and is fed by a VFD type drive.
I don't see how changing the stator winding is going to produce a field you need, there is more viable motors and easier ways to generate.
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I'm going to say it's probably a three wire bidirectional single phase motor being it has a thermal cut out strapped to the one winding and black power lead which is not how a three phase motor would configured.

ElectroBoy7

Joined Dec 22, 2015
Thanks everyone for your replyies. So... basically, this project isn't viable? Another thing I can do with this motor? Maybe I can salvage the wire, and create a generator, right?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So, this is the motor that is "broken" (again, I don't how a motor can be broken if it is just basically wires and a rotor. XDT-150 4681EA1005D LG washing machine.
I don't see any 1ph start/run cap in the exploded machine view, is there a capacitor mounted near the motor?
Are you sure the thermal cut out is not open?
Max.

benta

Joined Dec 7, 2015
The 3rd picture (DSC_0534) says it all. It's a three-phase induction motor with shorted rotor, most likely fed from a VFD.
Won't work as a generator.

Benta.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I' ve seen a number of posts on wind power forums where folks have used washing machine motors to build generators. You may want to sniff around those hangouts to see if anything has been done with a motor like your's.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
All things considered, if it got replaced due to a partial or fully shorted winding trying to turn it into a generator is rather pointless.

If I remember correctly washing machine motors can be wired in parallel for low speeds or in series for high speeds.
Low speed is used for washing and high speed during drying cycle.