use this LED driver control with remote to turn on a central vacuum cleaner

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
I have this 12 to 24v dc controller.
Central vac uses a low voltage 24v ac output transformer to power a relay to turn on the vacuum.
Could I connect a full bridge rectifier to the transformer 24v ac output to convert it to DC power.
Then wire that DC output into the LED driver control to use for turning on the vacuum motor relay?
Would the 24 v AC relay click on with 24 v DC?

This way I could turn the central vacuum off and on by remote control.
Most central vacs use a vacuum hose with inbuilt wires and a switch at the handle.
I have a hose with no wires or switch.

This is the controller.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC1...842.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.15c44c4dMDYC71

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I have this 12 to 24v dc controller.
Central vac uses a low voltage 24v ac output transformer to power a relay to turn on the vacuum.
Could I connect a full bridge rectifier to the transformer 24v ac output to convert it to DC power.
Then wire that DC output into the LED driver control to use for turning on the vacuum motor relay?

This way I could turn the central vacuum off and on by remote control.
Most central vacs use a vacuum hose with inbuilt wires and a switch at the handle.
I have a hose with no wires or switch.

This is the controller.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC1...842.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.15c44c4dMDYC71
Simply put you can turn "VAC" into "VDC" with a bridge rectifier. There will be losses. You need a capacitor after the bridge rectifier to smooth the voltage or it will be pulsating. Will the relay work with "24VDC" I do not know. If you can post some picture, part number and a circuit (of the relay for the first 2, of the part you need to change for the 3rd) it would be good.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Aren't central vacs already switched when you plug in the hose?

Seems to me the system was installed incorrectly. I don't see the convenience of a vac system where you need to go to a central place to turn it on an off.

And there are probably better ways to do this. But by knowing more about the vac system, I don't see how anyone is going to be able to recommend anything.

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Yes the vacuum comes on when plugging in the hose, but honestly it is very inconvenient. I have to run back and unplug the hose to turn it off. It would be better to have the remote switch on the hose end to turn it on and off. So if your cleaning up and stop to move things around etc... every time you have to run back and unplug the hose, then to turn it on have to plug it in again. Or you just leave it motor running continuously, which I don't like.

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Simply put you can turn "VAC" into "VDC" with a bridge rectifier. There will be losses. You need a capacitor after the bridge rectifier to smooth the voltage or it will be pulsating. Will the relay work with "24VDC" I do not know. If you can post some picture, part number and a circuit (of the relay for the first 2, of the part you need to change for the 3rd) it would be good.
What size capacitor? Install in parallel? Electrolytic?

I would have to open the motor to see the relay again.
The remote can handle the amperage of a small relay coil.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes the vacuum comes on when plugging in the hose, but honestly it is very inconvenient. I have to run back and unplug the hose to turn it off. It would be better to have the remote switch on the hose end to turn it on and off. So if your cleaning up and stop to move things around etc... every time you have to run back and unplug the hose, then to turn it on have to plug it in again. Or you just leave it motor running continuously, which I don't like.

You might be way over thinking this. Does the whole system plug into an outlet?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-R...63422266143?hash=item3d5530cb1f:rk:1:pf:0&var

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
What does a relay do when you "dim" it? You must turn up the "brightness" for the relay to turn on .

When you rectify 24VAC you get pulses at 34VDC that will probably destroy the Chinese dimmer that has a max input of 24VDC.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Below is an image of an AC solenoid coil which could just as easily been a relay coil. The coil was powered with 24 VDC for about 10 min before it gave up.

Cooked Coil.png

Generally it is not a good idea to apply DC to a coil designed for AC operation. While an AC coil can be operated at a lower DC voltage I still would not recommend it.

Ron

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
What does a relay do when you "dim" it? You must turn up the "brightness" for the relay to turn on .

When you rectify 24VAC you get pulses at 34VDC that will probably destroy the Chinese dimmer that has a max input of 24VDC.
That depends on what the "24VAC" is. If we have the relay we might be able to say.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It will be a lot easier just to buy one of those remote control AC outlets.
Single ones can be bought for $12US.

Or to get fancy, buy a WiFi remote outlet that can be voice controlled by Amazon Echo or Google Home Mini.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Doesn't that device just change the PWM frequency with each button press?
Its not "on or off" only..
Its first press = 90% duty, second press = 80% duty cycle,etc....
Seems like the wrong tool for the job..

You could use a similar on/off relay/key fob combo to disconnect the 24VAC signal when you wish to turn it off..
That however is going to require you to also click the button again to turn it back on thus basically disabling the central vacs default functionality of turning on when the hose door is opened at each outlet..
So you always use the remote then (as long as that fine then great)..
You will also need to contend with the signal distance for those..

A device like people have shown above controlled by your smartphone would work at further distances (as long as your wifi reaches it) and simply requires you to plug the transformer into it to turn the 24VAC signal on/off..

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Doesn't that device just change the PWM frequency with each button press?
Its not "on or off" only..
Its first press = 90% duty, second press = 80% duty cycle,etc....
Seems like the wrong tool for the job..

You could use a similar on/off relay/key fob combo to disconnect the 24VAC signal when you wish to turn it off..
That however is going to require you to also click the button again to turn it back on thus basically disabling the central vacs default functionality of turning on when the hose door is opened at each outlet..
So you always use the remote then (as long as that fine then great)..
You will also need to contend with the signal distance for those..

A device like people have shown above controlled by your smartphone would work at further distances (as long as your wifi reaches it) and simply requires you to plug the transformer into it to turn the 24VAC signal on/off..
I tested that dimmer, it does of course dim, but if you leave it on full power, the on-off button on the remote turns it on and off at full power.

Other option swap in a 12 v dc cube relay (40 amp rated) to switch AC vac motor on and off powered with a wall wart of 12v DC. So get rid of the 24 v AC setup completely. The vac motor draws around 10 amps of ac power, I think. I also have a 60 amp bigger DC relay to use.

The range is not an issue, this central vac is in my boat not a house, so not any long distances for the remote.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I tested that dimmer, it does of course dim, but if you leave it on full power, the on-off button on the remote turns it on and off at full power.

Other option swap in a 12 v dc cube relay (40 amp rated) to switch AC vac motor on and off powered with a wall wart of 12v DC. So get rid of the 24 v AC setup completely. The vac motor draws around 10 amps of ac power, I think. I also have a 60 amp bigger DC relay to use.

The range is not an issue, this central vac is in my boat not a house, so not any long distances for the remote.
You have a central vac system in your boat??? How big is your boat? To think I would be ecstatic if I had refrigeration on mine. :confused:

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
You have a central vac system in your boat??? How big is your boat? To think I would be ecstatic if I had refrigeration on mine. :confused:
It is called a 'Wal Vac', it is built in behind a panel and I have 2 inlets. Made for RVs and boats.
I never would have bought it myself. It is a little inconvenient to store the hose, but it is useful. Using those 2 inlets, the hose can reach everywhere.
Boat is a 37 foot sedan cruiser with flybridge.
For refrigeration, I have a 10 cu ft fridge in the galley with icemaker and a cruisair heat pump for heating and cooling.

Sounds like a boat to me. My father's friend had a 30' Cris Craft that I used to go with them on occasional trips. I was probably 16 YO. He re-furbished boats for fun and even profit and this was his last one. I remember him changing the prop in polluted water (oil film type of pollution). Taking out the rudder left a big hole in the bottom of the boat.

I lost my contact lens in the bilge and found it. I did "pilot it" through a canal. Going UNDER big twin-span bridges is really impressive. More impressive than driving on it in a car. Clearance to this bridge I went under was around 200 feet. The opportunity did present itself for a tour of the bridge, but I could not do it. The suspension bridge is an "active structure".

I would have recommended a system that's used for "dust collectors" for shops, but the remote sounds like the better idea in your case.

You would likely need a main power switch to prevent battery drain when not in use.