Use PC as battery through USB

TheSmouk

Joined Jun 4, 2017
So the thing is, I've made a DIY Track IR and it's running on an AAA battery case, the thing is that I don't really want to be buying new batteries every time I need them plus the fact that it is supposed to be a really cheap thing everyone can make.

My question is, can I remove the battery case, take any phone USB charger, sold it to the LED cables and connect it to the PC? Or would it be dangerous or something bad for the PC?

Thanks.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A PC USB port can supply up to 500mA @ 5VDC. If you can use that, go ahead. Don't try to take more than 500mA.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So the thing is, I've made a DIY Track IR and it's running on an AAA battery case, the thing is that I don't really want to be buying new batteries every time I need them plus the fact that it is supposed to be a really cheap thing everyone can make.

My question is, can I remove the battery case, take any phone USB charger, sold it to the LED cables and connect it to the PC? Or would it be dangerous or something bad for the PC?

Thanks.
How many AAA batteries does your circuit need to function? That is, what's the working voltage of your circuit? ... you may need to adjust the voltage normally delivered from standard USB chargers/ports. But if it's 5V that you need, then as Mr Chips said, if you plug it to a USB port, just make sure that it doesn't need more than 1/2 an amp at 5V. But if you use a charger, most of them can deliver up to one amp.