USB to RS-232 adapter needed

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I want to connect a RS-232 port device to USB with an adapter.
Or any better recommendations?
If this is for a desk-top/tower PC, did you check the MB for a COM port expansion plug.
Often these are fitted but not brought out in modern PC's.
This was the case with my Asus MB.
Max.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
If this is for a desk-top/tower PC, did you check the MB for a COM port expansion plug.
Often these are fitted but not brought out in modern PC's.
This was the case with my Asus MB.
Max.
I can second that. I think all my motherboards have the pins on the motherboard for the serial port, but they don't have actual braket with the connector (DB-9). I had to buy one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline...rs232+bracket&qid=1554607865&s=gateway&sr=8-5
make sure cable is long enough.

Hey Max. If they add the connector from the motherboard, will it be +-15V RS-232? I mean I always plugged my dial-up modem and I never measured it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Depends what IC they use for the RS232, if the type with a charge pump it is usually ~+- 9v or so.
Only the signals and GND are used in the communication/transmission.
Max.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
This is to connect an Alienware Aurora R6 tower to a VC8145 bench DMM. Yes, I bypassed some cheap adapters due to reported counterfeit/compatibility issues from customer feedback. Not sure what the real functional difference is between the FTDI and PL2303 drivers. Also have some older devices w/ RS232 ports that I may want to integrate after this. My days of digging into computer cases and MB's are over due to my mobility issues or I'd probably dig out an old serial card from the computer pile. I have to get help with cabling and this seems the easiest solution. I think this is the first computer I've owned without RS232 or a serial card I added. I can always try the cheaper one w/FTDI and send it back to Amazon if it doesn't work. Thanks for the input guys!

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
This is to connect an Alienware Aurora R6 tower to a VC8145 bench DMM. Yes, I bypassed some cheap adapters due to reported counterfeit/compatibility issues from customer feedback. Not sure what the real functional difference is between the FTDI and PL2303 drivers. Also have some older devices w/ RS232 ports that I may want to integrate after this. My days of digging into computer cases and MB's are over due to my mobility issues or I'd probably dig out an old serial card from the computer pile. I have to get help with cabling and this seems the easiest solution. I think this is the first computer I've owned without RS232 or a serial card I added. I can always try the cheaper one w/FTDI and send it back to Amazon if it doesn't work. Thanks for the input guys!
Ok. Yes, just get the usb to rs-232 cable.

The story goes like this. Back about 10-ish years ago FTDI chips were something like 90% of the market. Chinese counterfeited them. FTDI noticed it because they began loosing money. So. FTDI released a driver, but built into the driver was code to check ID register of the chip. If driver found "FTDI" chip with wrong ID, the driver disabled the chips. Literally overnight tens of thousands of devices, that people paid money for, stopped working.

And that is how Chinese CH340 or 341 usb chip came about.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The FTDI chipset, if real, will have the best drivers and the broadest compatibility, that’s the reason for the choice. Otherwise, they should be equivalent. The Keyspan device is one I have used for many years, professionally and personally, and it’s been extremely reliable, that’s why i suggested it, but it does come at a premium.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Watch out for the CH340 versions if you are running Macs. Unfortunately, the drivers are very flakey and can crash the Macs hard like the power has been dropped off.
If you get it going, as I've had it working, be careful if there is an OS update, as it is likely to cause problems. There has not been any trouble on my Macs with the FTDI chips, even tho I was not going to use them again after FTDI having the driver kill the fake chips that the customers had purchased in good faith. FTDI should have gone after the counterfeiters, not the users. Still, that is in the past.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
This is the thing which more than sure is no worth to solder Yourself, because regular price at ebay.com is sth like 0,50...0,99 USD. Even IC will cost more in the shop.