USB Thermal Camera Control

dominics

Joined May 24, 2016
Hi everyone.

I have a project in mind, first I want to know if it is even possible to achieve and secondly a best course of action to achieve it.
I have little experience in this sort of electronics, but I am an engineer and can learn these things quickly. I understand it would be decent learning curve.

I have a thermal camera, the camera settings currently can only be changed via a USB connection to a computer using their software.
What I want to achieve is to control these settings remotely, by connecting a "device" to the usb connection of the camera and activating the command using a radio transmitter (Futaba 14SG to be specific). The receiver has a PWM output.

The camera manual states all the commands required to change settings (example below).
The following example from the manual describes adjusting the brightness of the camera:
ID
Function Code (hex)
0x18
Command
BRIGHTNESS_BIAS
Description
Gets or sets the brightness bias value used by the once-bright AGC algorithm
Byte Count
Set Cmd: 2
& Reply: 2
Argument (i.e, Data Bytes) (hex)
Brightness bias value
Notes
Range: -16384 to 16383
See para. 3.3.2.6.5 of Ref. 1 / Ref. 3 for explanation of this parameter. It is not applicable to all AGC algorithms.

Link to manual: http://cvs.flir.com/tau2-quark-software-idd?_ga=1.206656016.2097579166.1459214957

Regards
Dominic