UPS Recommendations

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So looks like I will be tossing the DSL and going to Verizon Fios (cable internet). At the same time I will probably just toss the traditional land line and convert to Ooma phone (already have the box).

What I like about traditional land line is that if I lose power I usually still have the phone.

I will want to have UPS so I still have a "land line" phone. I believe the cable modem comes with battery backup. I know it does when you get Verizon's phone option.

I would then want a UPS to run the router, Ooma modem and cordless phone base station. Already late so I will get the specs later if needed. I would want to run that setup for a few hours. Any recommendations on a UPS?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
FIOS should come with a UPS for the fiber interface. I installed a wood panel to mount the UPS and punch blocks in the house for the installer to use.

My install was Internet only cat5 but I have dedicated VOIP and Xlink boxes for the cell interface linked to the house hardwired phones connected to a couple of large online UPS (Toshiba 1400SE) systems that run the main computer system, phones and backup lights.

I have a couple of old Toshiba 1400SE ON-LINE UPS systems but any good industrial quality on-line unit should work.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Industrial grade? Sounds expensive.

Any thoughts on what wattage I should get? I don't know the actual consumption but the power adapter can supply 5A @ 5V. The device gets pretty hot. Then I would need to still power the router and the phone base station.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Any thoughts on what wattage I should get? I don't know the actual consumption but the power adapter can supply 5A @ 5V. The device gets pretty hot. Then I would need to still power the router and the phone base station.
It's only expensive if you buy new.:) Most of the APC types for PC computers are just fine for short interruptions but if you need reliable power you need something better. The wattage depends on your needed run time.

http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=165

Consider running POE to the router.

The UPS matters little except when you need it to signal a server or PC to shut down. Run-time is your biggest issue.

I have a simple 500 VA UPS under my elderly mom's bed.
it runs:
1) A high intensity lamp
2) The base station for the answering machine/cordless base station
3) It provides secondary power to a medical alarm system. It has it''s own backup.

It starts beeping when the battery needs help AND it won;t run anything connected. The side effect of having the UPS is that the clock on the answering machine doesn't get erased.

I HAD another small UPS on my networking stuff and I ran POE to the modem which is in a different place.
My repeater does not have backup. I'm working on that. Not sure what to do. A Skype/Landline handset is backed up too.

The UPS died AND I now have a RAID server. I bought a UPS that physically too big have up in the rafters.
The RAID server will eventually need to be shut down by the UPS.

I may also have to upgrade to a big Ethernet Gigabit switch for another reason.

Each cordless phone has a battery and there are 4 on the base. So, you can rotate them out for more talk time via cordless. Do make sure that there is a non-battery phone available somewhere.

You might get about 8 hour backup for phone with FIOS. Guessing. You also might want a phone charing portion the UPS.

One of the reasons I got a large UPS, was to run a sump pump, if i have to, switching to the UPS manually. I can start the UPS without it being plugged in.

It is convenient to be able to plug all of the backed up stuff into the non-backed up UPS outlets.

Don't expect APC to be helpful if you get an APC.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013

Hi

You really need to estimate the power requirements and how much runtime you need. Most UPS's capacity is rated in Volt Amps.
Do you want to be able to remotely monitor the UPS? How many power outlets to connect load? Input voltage is? Output voltage is?

UPS's are usually rated in a way that you really have to read the specs. From Watts to VA to peak Watts to Peak VA

VA is Watts except when it isn't. VA HAS to be considered when you have to start a motor.
What they never tell you is that if you need a UPS that likes a generator it will cost you more.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
FWIW, FIOS has a battery backup but it only backups the phone, not TV or internet. I finally put a left-over APS UPS on the FIOS box power in the garage to keep things up during short power outages. Anything longer than a few minutes and it just shut things down and relax outside.

If it plugged into a GFI circuit (like mine in the garage) remember to check the GFI as part of an outage remedy.

On another note, our FIOS was down twice for a couple of hours each last week. Verizon acknowledged the outage and had it fixed before their estimated time in each case but it leaves a hole in the day.

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
You might look around for a used higher end UPS system . . . My son got me a APC Smart UPS 1500VA at a thrift shop for $30US. It's 6 years old, but the batteries are still functioning . . . albeit the UPS reports that as a concern. Replacement batteries for it can be had for between $50 and $80US online from a number of suppliers. Thing weighs in at 50lbs.

It's a business class UPS that originally cost over $600US, and even as it sits with old batteries will run my desktop, Sanyo 26" monitor, modem, and router (reads as a 20% load) for just under an hour if need be. It comes with good control software (downloadable) that can be accessed remotely.

For what you want to run, a smaller UPS with fresh batteries would suffice, I should think.

Last edited: