UPS power supply powered DC motor

BrianMurray007

Joined Apr 7, 2020
I am planning to power a DC motor continuously from the battery of a UPS power supply such that I will attach the DC motor directly to the battery of the UPS. The UPS will be plugged into the main power while the motor is running. I am hoping that the battery will continue to power the motor in a power outage if needed. Will this work? Is it going to kill the battery in a short time?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Welcome to AAC.

Depends on how much current the motor draws and how much power the battery can supply. If the motor draws 1 amp while operating and the battery has an amp hour rating of 20 then in theory you can power the motor for 20 hours. IN THEORY!

But I must share this warning with you - a UPS, even when not plugged in, has dangerous voltages present. Be very careful not to end your account with AAC too soon (i.e. sudden and catastrophic death from contacting the wrong points within the UPS)

[edit] I was working on a UPS one afternoon. While testing for voltages I inadvertently touched two leads of one of the drivers with one of the test leads and blew that driver out with a spectacular bang. It was all over after that. That UPS is no longer in service and parts have been scavenged for other projects.

BrianMurray007

Joined Apr 7, 2020
Thank you for the replies. I tried this and it actually worked. I didn't test for too long to see if it kills the battery. Tonyr1084, thank you for the safety precautions.