Unsing a PNP Vbe multiplier to replace a germanium diode

omers

Joined Dec 5, 2017
I have the intention to replace a germanium diode with a PNP germanium diode in an old amplifier circuit How do I determine the correct R1 and R2 on a 1K trimpot if i chose another germanium transistor with a different voltage drop at Vbe on the circuit displayed?

Attachments

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
This will make a pretty crappy diode, looking like a 1K resistor when reverse biased?

What does this diode circuit accomplish in the actual circuit?

omers

Joined Dec 5, 2017
It will be used to replace a 1N2326 diode in an old Fisher receiver The Vbe of the Russian germanium transistor, MP20 is around 0.120 at 2mA

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It will not work. The like a shunt regulator that can be set anywhere between 1 Si diode drop (about 0.6V) up to the Collector-Emitter breakdown voltage. It cannot give the same forward drop as a germanium diode.

Try a silicon Schottky diode -it will have about the same forward drop as a germanium diode.

omers

Joined Dec 5, 2017
This is a germanium transistor Putting the collector and base together as the cathode, and the emitter as the anode , give a reading of 0.120 mV @ 2 Ma

Isn't the circuit , called a, "rubber diode"?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Then don't bother with the pot. Just connect the bast to the collector -that gives you a very nice germanium diode, unless you need to have it adjustable for some reason...