Unresponsive scripts

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Sometimes browsing the web is a pain, the computer becomes unresponsive for minutes.

Today, 40 minutes.

10 minutes until the window popped up.
Another 10 until it became possible to press the stop button.
Another 20 until it finally stopped.

My hard drive is almost constantly on, even when not browsing the web. I checked, and it makes no difference if there is free memory or not.

Antivirus scanners detect nothing.

I hope one day there will be a Windows capable of running programs normally.

Most of the scripts serve no visible purpose at all- mostly adverts, and obscure social networking services, and preloading for video playback.

Yahoo news is a pain to use, but on some days, it just works normal.

I never saw a popup with a long URL like that.

Attachments

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
www.ghostery.com

www.noscript.net

I've not used 'noscript' before, but have heard good things about it. I currently use Ghostery, and have used it since I got my computer. I'm VERY happy with it. Some of the sites I don't go to on my smartphone because of advertising and pop ups are quick to load and have NO ads on them when blocked by ghostery

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Not really, I use Linux at home now, it's a pretty old PC but it's working much better than when I had Windows installed on it.
I've been around, but not posting as much as before.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Looking at the picture, it is some java script.
Is your java plugin for the browser up to date?
Did you try an other browser like Firefox, chrome or Opera?
I am using Firefox and Opera on my linux (OpenSuse) machine at the moment.

Bertus

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Just turn java and javascript off, 90% of the forum works fine without it. Everything but the blog stuff works I think.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Make sure sharing features on windows are turned off. File sharing and print sharing both use lots of CPU time.

Max out the RAM, I bought used RAM on eBay for $10.

Make sure you have 20 GB hard disk space available for virtual memory swapping (when you run out of RAM)

Defragment hard disk

Close applications when not using them.

Also, try a registry cleaning software - I used UniBlue's registry cleaner with great success. My Pentium 4 single core will turn 10 years old in May. It still works fine - still running Windows XP. It stays on for months at a time with no lock ups.

Also, set your virus scan software to scan only changed/new files instead of scanning your entire hard disk each day.