Unable to burn 8051

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Hey guys, I wasn't here for a while :(.

Now I have 89C52RD2 kit & I want to use ISP feature. Wrote a simple code in Keil uVision 4.
The problem comes here...I'm using USB to serial converter from prolific. I'm not sure whether it is brand or not [just bought it from cheap electronic market with no warranty!]. I connected it with my PC [windows 7 64-bit] and crap I get "Device driver not installed successfully". OK now I surf web downloaded driver....still no use. That yellow
sign is there forever!

Now is it windows 7 making a problem? Do I need to install XP or something virtually only to download program in my controller! Please check attachments.

Attachments

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
Hey guys, I wasn't here for a while :(.

Now I have 89C52RD2 kit & I want to use ISP feature. Wrote a simple code in Keil uVision 4.
The problem comes here...I'm using USB to serial converter from prolific. I'm not sure whether it is brand or not [just bought it from cheap electronic market with no warranty!]. I connected it with my PC [windows 7 64-bit] and crap I get "Device driver not installed successfully". OK now I surf web downloaded driver....still no use. That yellow
sign is there forever!

Now is it windows 7 making a problem? Do I need to install XP or something virtually only to download program in my controller! Please check attachments.

first wash your ckt with alcohol
then assign your COM PORT to COM - 1
use Flash Magic if you are using P89V51RD2 μcontroller http://www.flashmagictool.com/

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
That's definitely a driver problem, but I'm still using XP as my OS and don't know how much hand holding Win7 needs.

Typically you used to uninstall the driver before trying to install another. Rebooting in between always helped too.

Your breadboard looks a little dusty, but I like it anyway.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Sorry for the dusty picture guys! I actually realized that after posting it. Now my board is crystal clear!!! Cleaned it so no dust issue now.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
That's definitely a driver problem, but I'm still using XP as my OS and don't know how much hand holding Win7 needs.

Typically you used to uninstall the driver before trying to install another. Rebooting in between always helped too.

Your breadboard looks a little dusty, but I like it anyway.
Yes. I also think that is a driver problem. But don't know how to fix. Tried searching for another drivers, tried reboot but it is not helping.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
Yes. I also think that is a driver problem. But don't know how to fix. Tried searching for another drivers, tried reboot but it is not helping.

as i know the Win-7 drivers are most up to date there is no need to install any drivers at least for the USB Port's

even for me there was the same problem i was also doing the same thing what u r doing now finely the problem was with the M/B connector pl do check the same
by the way which M/B are u using?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Prolific warning about counterfeits with bad drivers.

That said, I've used several USB-RS232 at a time on Win7-64 Professional with no driver issues, presumably with genuine drivers.

I have had problems with various generic brands of USB-serial cables that, even when set up correctly, had comms issues receiving any but a single character at a time. Its not a computer issue since others work fine (the AirLink brand works very well) but finally, I scrapped the no-brand USB-serial cables and went with a SIIG PCI quad serial board. Works perfectly every time.

Whatever you finally do, make a wrap plug (jumper pins 2-3 on a DB-9). Use a terminal emulator (I use Procomm) to send a text file at full speed to the port and capture the returned data to a file. Do a file compare with the original to ensure that it all got sent and received correctly.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
as i know the Win-7 drivers are most up to date there is no need to install any drivers at least for the USB Port's

even for me there was the same problem i was also doing the same thing what u r doing now finely the problem was with the M/B connector pl do check the same
by the way which M/B are u using?
I'm using Asus m4a88tdm-evo mobo. I tried with four different USB ports. That should bean issue, those are my regular ports.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
have you checked the connectivity of the USB cable for the USB - Serial converter?
and is your USB converter working in other computer? pl. check that ...
normally there is an issue of 32/64 bit drivers but that was only in WIN-XP and VISTA but not in WIN-7 for the USB driver

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Prolific warning about counterfeits with bad drivers.

That said, I've used several USB-RS232 at a time on Win7-64 Professional with no driver issues, presumably with genuine drivers.

I have had problems with various generic brands of USB-serial cables that, even when set up correctly, had comms issues receiving any but a single character at a time. Its not a computer issue since others work fine (the AirLink brand works very well) but finally, I scrapped the no-brand USB-serial cables and went with a SIIG PCI quad serial board. Works perfectly every time.

Whatever you finally do, make a wrap plug (jumper pins 2-3 on a DB-9). Use a terminal emulator (I use Procomm) to send a text file at full speed to the port and capture the returned data to a file. Do a file compare with the original to ensure that it all got sent and received correctly.
Looks like mine is not genuine!

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
have you checked the connectivity of the USB cable for the USB - Serial converter?
and is your USB converter working in other computer? pl. check that ...
normally there is an issue of 32/64 bit drivers but that was only in WIN-XP and VISTA but not in WIN-7 for the USB driver
USB connectivity is fine. It is detecting in PC but fails to install proper driver. Even shows up in my device manager[attached picture in my post]. But with
sign. That sucks. Still I'll try on another PC.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
and also try to replace your USB / SERIAL cable
and why don't you use the com port on the Mother Board with the SERIAL CABLE

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
and also try to replace your USB / SERIAL cable
and why don't you use the com port on the Mother Board with the SERIAL CABLE
hello, the connector on my motherboard is rectangular in shape so I'll need another serial to serial cable....like this one

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Note that some motherboards like my ASUS have a different pinout on the connector, so you might need to reconnect it the other way, which did the trick for me.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
hello, the connector on my motherboard is rectangular in shape so I'll need another serial to serial cable....like this one

did you connected the cable at its pin's correctly
ie. 1=>1 2=>2...10=>10

it will be marked (1) on the DIL pin header on the Mother Board ; and the RED wire is your Pin (1) on the connector

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
guys I only have USB to serial cable which is not working, could you suggest any trustworthy manufacturer?

My dear
In My Country INDIA in Mumbai
it cost only Rs.50-75/- only for the Serial port connector
there may be problem with your USB-SERIAL Converter Cable
have you tried on any other PC?

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
My dear
In My Country INDIA in Mumbai
it cost only Rs.50-75/- only for the Serial port connector
there may be problem with your USB-SERIAL Converter Cable
have you tried on any other PC?
I'm from India, pune. No I have not tried on another pc. May be I should try that first. I'll update after that.