Ugh, O'scope died. Thinking about upgrade. Siglent 1202XE thoughts?

Wuerstchenhund

Joined Aug 31, 2017
I just ordered one (DSOX1102G) with the Embedded Serial Triggering and Analysis option to evaluate.
My guess would be that you'll like it. The sample memory is a bit small (1Mpts) and frankly the included probes are poor quality crap but it's snappy scope with a high update rate and a good UI, and the 'G' variant with the built-in AWG can even do Bode plots which is nice. Much nicer to operate than your MDO3k and your Agilent DSO1k.

We now got a bunch of them since Keysight throws them in for free if you buy one of their larger scopes.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Rigol DS1102E

Siglent SDS1202XE

They are both fine scopes for the price range.

I chose the Siglent SDS1202XE because I prefer the front panel layout (similar to Tektronix scopes) and the screen is bigger and has higher resolution.

Ahope42

Joined Sep 17, 2017
Thanks. How long have you had it? Also, how is the pc software? I've not seen any discussion of it.
I finally had some quality time to sit down with the scope and the software. Connects easily over TCP/IP or USB. EasyscopeX works fine and everything seems hunky dory. See screenshot

upload_2017-10-26_18-41-37.png

Last edited by a moderator:

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
I'm not sure serial decoding is a key feature for me but, on the Siglent, SPI decode is crippled (er, less than optimal) because you can only do MISO or MOSI - it doesn't use external trigger for CLK like god intended. Maybe that's another case for 4 channels. Or maybe I just stick to my cheapo open bench logic analyzer which does SPI just fine...

That big bright screen with the "color" feature on the Siglent seems like compelling. Being able to see how stable the signal is could be a lot of help in debugging. But then, not every feature that looks good going in turns out to be.

The Keysight scopes look nice but the 50mhz price looks to be 650 (though I've seen an ebay ad for 550) and I'd have to void the warranty to get to 200 mhz. Serial analysis is extra. Probably not in my future.

Wuerstchenhund

Joined Aug 31, 2017
Rigol DS1102E

[...]

They are both fine scopes for the price range.
I'm sorry but the DS1000E is *not* a fine scope for its price range. It *was* a fine scope when it came out 6+ years ago, but it's no longer 2011, technology has moved on and today it's actually very poor scope not worth the asking price.

If it has to be really cheap by all means then the Siglent SDS1102CML (an older Siglent scope) is a much better choice because it has a better, higher resolution screen and more memory, and is even cheaper than the old Rigol DS1102E.

Last edited:

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
If it has to be really cheap by all means then the Siglent SDS1102CML (an older Siglent scope) is a much better choice because it has a better, higher resolution screen and more memory, and is even cheaper than the old Rigol DS1102E.
The SDS1202XE is $60 more than the SDS1102CML. It's not clear if the 1102 has the color feature, has smaller memory and it appears to not have serial decoding. If I was stretching to get to 380, it looks like a reasonable compromise. But then, $379 is well within my budget.

Wuerstchenhund

Joined Aug 31, 2017
The SDS1202XE is $60 more than the SDS1102CML. It's not clear if the 1102 has the color feature, has smaller memory and it appears to not have serial decoding.
No, the SDS1102CML doesn't have serial decode, also it's an old model. And I'd not recommend to buy one when, as you say, the much better/newer SDS1202XE is just $60 more.

But the SDS1102CML just shows how far behind the Rigol DS1102E is compared to what else is available today, and that it really should no longer be considered for a new purchase.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I just ordered one (DSOX1102G) with the Embedded Serial Triggering and Analysis option to evaluate.
The box arrived today. I only tested a few embedded signal functions.

I had a little project on the desk for a Motor/QEI encoder tester with an SPI OLED display so that was the target for the embedded SPI serial test. (added cost option on the scope)

Uno32 with Basic IO Shield and simple custom I/O interface board programmed with xc32 and Mplabx Harmony 2.04

Probes connected to SCK and SDO to the OLED display on both scopes for a short comparison of signal display capability.

The upper capture screen window hogs a lot more real-estate than the TEK.

SPI data stream capture, zoom and data decoding.

Overall it get a very good for basic serial signal display using the scope probes but the DSOX1102G display blanks at times during updates and decoding while the TEK maintains a steady display on near real-time display modes.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
My aging Tektronix TDS1001B is now officially retired: a Siglent SDS1202X-E showed up on my doorstep the other day and I decided to give it a home.

I'm pleased with it so far, after playing with it for a couple of hours. Although the scope is the same overall size as the TDS, the screen is much bigger and has much higher resolution (800x480 vs. 320x240). That, plus the color display, makes the Siglent much easier on my 68-year-old eyes; all by itself, this makes it a worthwhile purchase.

My only major gripe at this point is the User Manual. My MacOS file info panel shows the document as having 123 authors, and it's painfully clear that not all of them write well in English: I've been doing a LOT of head-scratching, and it's slowing down my familiarization with the scope.

Other than that, I've encountered a few minor software bugs in the user interface, such as a "zombie dialog box" that didn't disappear after I dismissed it.

I've got a lot more exploring and practicing to do before I'm completely checked out on this thing; if I find anything else noteworthy I'll post it here.

So far so good, though. Nice little scope, especially considering the price tag.

Wuerstchenhund

Joined Aug 31, 2017
It seems there's also a 4 channel variant of the Siglent SDS1000X in the pipeline:

It seems the 4ch variant comes with additional functionality (i.e. WiFi support) and an internal webserver to allow remote control of the scope from a web browser:

My guess is that it will come out outside China early 2018, with a price slightly above the Rigopl DS1054z.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Yes, I've been reading the 1204X-E thread on eevblog and am torn. The lack of a working scope is wearing on me but the 1204X-E looks like it's worth waiting for.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Monitor O'scope died (bad display) after 20+ years of service.

It's a Fluke branded Philips PM 3050 designed for rear inputs.

It's headed to the graveyard. :(

Replacement.

Nice scope for circuits but pretty poor for a at a glance monitor as the update at low scan rates makes it difficult
to see quick signal changes while tuning.

Wuerstchenhund

Joined Aug 31, 2017
Monitor O'scope died (bad display) after 20+ years of service.
That should be repairable. But then, if it's for business use, it's probably not worth it.

Back then we had lots of Philips scopes, and most of our engineers even preferred them over our Tek 475As.

Replacement.

Nice scope for circuits but pretty poor for a at a glance monitor as the update at low scan rates makes it difficult
to see quick signal changes while tuning.
Well, if you think that this is a nice scope for using on circuits then I guess any scope from Keysight, LeCroy or R&S would probably appear like a gift from heaven as Tek really makes the worst digital scopes you can find on the market. The TBS1000 has laughable 2.5k of memory, and like everything made by Tek it's slow as wading through molasses and locks up when doing anything demanding. It's only upside is the built-in educational stuff, but then these days Tek's biggest market (or better, the market that hasn't yet turned away from them) is the edu sector.

I'm surprised people still buy them, considering that pretty much everyone else offers more for less.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Well, if you think that this is a nice scope for using on circuits then I guess any scope from Keysight, LeCroy or R&S would probably appear like a gift from heaven as Tek really makes the worst digital scopes you can find on the market.
It was given to us as a free replacement. No, I wouldn't buy one for my own use but it seems useful in a learning environment like those old tank Tek tube scopes were. We somehow managed some cool stuff back then. One of my classmates as the Apple engineer in charge of computer displays for a while.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Classic TEK scopes in some of my yearbook photos. How many of you guys remember VICA?
I took electronics in high school too, but it didn't look like that! Nice gear. But what does VICA stand for? A quick search brings up this
Screenshot-2017-11-9 electronics VICA - Google Search.png
which doesn't look like high school - at least mine.:)