Typical code for receptacles on a basement wall

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My basement (in northern Illinois) has a walkout, meaning there is one entire wall of the foundation "missing". Instead there is a standard, unfinished wall there made of 2x4s with fiberglass insulation, and sheathing on the outside surface (and siding over that).

I want to drywall that wall and of course I need to place receptacles every few feet before I seal it up. The rest of my house is wired with Romex - no conduit. The only exception is an existing outlet in the basement that has conduit coming up to about the 4-foot level of the concrete wall, and just naked Romex above that.

Any idea what's required for code? I'm inclined to just use the usual plastic boxes and Romex like in the rest of the house. That one outlet I have using conduit makes sense because the wiring would otherwise be exposed to damage - it's not protected inside a wall. I already expect the circuit to require GFCI and AFCI breaker.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Plastic is fine, under drywall. Exposed, should need metal with thin wall metal conduit using surface mounts for Romex, heavy wall if using individual wires. IF the basement is "Dried In" GFCI is not needed unless it is within 6' of a faucet or there is fuel storage in the basement. If it is an open soil basement then GFCI maybe. Going by memory which is fallible FWIW.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
My basement (in northern Illinois) has a walkout, meaning there is one entire wall of the foundation "missing". Instead there is a standard, unfinished wall there made of 2x4s with fiberglass insulation, and sheathing on the outside surface (and siding over that).

I want to drywall that wall and of course I need to place receptacles every few feet before I seal it up. The rest of my house is wired with Romex - no conduit. The only exception is an existing outlet in the basement that has conduit coming up to about the 4-foot level of the concrete wall, and just naked Romex above that.

Any idea what's required for code? I'm inclined to just use the usual plastic boxes and Romex like in the rest of the house. That one outlet I have using conduit makes sense because the wiring would otherwise be exposed to damage - it's not protected inside a wall. I already expect the circuit to require GFCI and AFCI breaker.
Frankly get a local electrician for this, they'll know exactly what to do, it will be 100% compliant and will be done pretty fast. I have had a of basic electrical stuff to do in my own house and I am glad I didn't do it myself, yes there's a cost but my time was too precious!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Another point is the "local" guys should know all the local code although it's not always so. Had a guy tell me using a 3 #12 Romex for 2 circuits was code once by using the ground as the neutral so he had 2 ungrounded circuits from one triplex with a shared "neutral". You just never know...

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Do you have the option of covering the work with a homeowners permit. They often provide an explanation of applicable code. Many jurisdictions have supplemental requirements.