Can a typical 5V usb charging port be stepped up for a new iPad Pro 11?

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
We're getting these at work, and the charing ports we use are for the traditional 5V / 2.4amp needs of the older iPads.

Rather than run the apple charging brick (a cord from a 115 receptacle) I was wondering what the specs are on the iPad Pro 11?

I've heard it's a range of wattage/amps but didn't know if the device uses a range of wattages (I know amps can fluctuate) or if the charging brick is printed that way because it's designed for use with some additional devices.

I haven't gotten my hands on one yet so I don't know what's actually printed on it or what it needs in terms of voltage / amps to make it run.

I'd love to make something that runs off a typical 5V usb type A socket.

Any thoughts?

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
We're getting these at work, and the charing ports we use are for the traditional 5V / 2.4amp needs of the older iPads.

Rather than run the apple charging brick (a cord from a 115 receptacle) I was wondering what the specs are on the iPad Pro 11?

I've heard it's a range of wattage/amps but didn't know if the device uses a range of wattages (I know amps can fluctuate) or if the charging brick is printed that way because it's designed for use with some additional devices.

I haven't gotten my hands on one yet so I don't know what's actually printed on it or what it needs in terms of voltage / amps to make it run.

I'd love to make something that runs off a typical 5V usb type A socket.

Any thoughts?
What exactly is you question? I get the impression you want to adapt your existing 5V USB chargers for the new iPad? If so you must first identify the power requirements of the iPad as well as how much power is available from your USB charging bricks.

If the charging voltage of the new iPad is not a nominal 5V, then you will need a power converter to set the new voltage. Changing this voltage will come at a cost as Power In = Power Out. Thus increasing voltage will decrease available current as well as the inverse.

Other members will know more than myself so I recommend you provide as much detail as possible going forward.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The ipad 11 uses a 18/20W C type charger , so that's a 3.5 to 4A output.
I assume the bias resistors will be the same for the usb lead.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
You can't get more power out than power in. 5v ×2.4A =:12 watts maximum available from a high current USB A charger.

18 – 20 watts is greater than 12 watts, so no, there is no magic way to do this.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I do not know about your iPad. My phone will charge in several different modes. If the charger is week it charges in low power mode.