Two 24V LED light bars in series with a 48V source?

davelondon

Joined Mar 30, 2021
I have a large 48V LiFePO4 battery bank in my expedition vehicle, and I'd like to use these LED light bars. However, they only accept 12-32V. Could I simply wire two identical light bars up in series? Each one would see 24V, right?

linear-24_flood_angle-web.jpg

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
There are drivers in each lamp, not just dropping resistors so I would say risky business.

Might work, might not, you should ask the manufacturer.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I have a large 48V LiFePO4 battery bank
If you can do - how would you feel about tapping off of 24 volts? If the battery pack is a modular pack then you might be able to isolate batteries in 12 volt groups. I'm just guessing here - but - - - .

Or you could get a buck converter. But it's going to have to be capable of handling 11.7 amps. For safety margin I'd opt for a buck that can handle at least 16 amps. But like ElectricSpidey said - hooking two of them in series is iffy. And since you have two units - perhaps you can wire one set to the battery pack using (lets call the packs A, B, C & D, each pack representing 12 volts) wire one set light bar to A&B and the other set light bar to C&D. Use a DPST switch or DPDT to switch them on or off. OR you could use a relay rated for 16 amps or better.

Last edited:

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
I like the idea of tapping the battery pack if possible, especially because the drain on each divided set will be the same and not cause much of an imbalance.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
How big is your 48V LiFePO4 battery? Can you provide a picture of it? I've googled "48V LiFePO4 battery" and got a lot of different images. Need to know more about your source of power (battery).