TV antenna selection

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Let me tell you that I have never been to a Greek house that has an attic. That beast doesn't exist around here.

@DodgyDave,
The installation I 'm talking about isn't in Athens. Referring to the site you linked, the analog frequencies must be between this transmitter:
Livadia-Thiva Hlomo 29 25 38 65 60 40 66 47 39 63 61 57 53 22
and this one:
Lamia Damasta 8, 67 64 35 50 22 26 62 43 24 31 44 56 21 28

The consecutive numbers are the channels of the transmitted TV stations. I don't know if that's useful information to you.

@#12
Which bolts are you referring to? The ones attaching the cable to the antenna, or the ones holding the antenna together?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Roughly from 21-69. The upcoming digital transmitions are in that range too.

For now I am aiming to reach the analog channels. To my experience so far, digital channels reach the antennas much more clearly in the same distance and without interference so I don't think the transitions from one format to another will be an issue. Do I assume wrong?
The "digital vs analog" has nothing to do with antenna reception, it is the channel's RF (air) frequency which in the USA is not always the same as the channel number, but sometimes it is (very confusing).

The high VHF channels (7-13) generally carry better over distance than the UHF channels (14 - 84) and are easier to pickup at farther distances. The UHF channels get harder to receive as you go up in frequency.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
In Greece the scheme is the following:

3 State channels on the UHF band with few commercials
A dozen private channels on the UHF band with country-wide coverage that air much more ads to come up with the expenses.

Those above are free and provide quite some content to follow so that you rarely need:

Subscription Satelite TV and the needed decoder that airs in one bundle some hundreds of channels that include Filmnet, Eurosport, Discovery, Animal Planet, History Channel, E! and many more.
Only for the avid viewer.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Let me tell you that I have never been to a Greek house that has an attic. That beast doesn't exist around here.

@DodgyDave,
The installation I 'm talking about isn't in Athens. Referring to the site you linked, the analog frequencies must be between this transmitter:
Livadia-Thiva Hlomo 29 25 38 65 60 40 66 47 39 63 61 57 53 22
and this one:
Lamia Damasta 8, 67 64 35 50 22 26 62 43 24 31 44 56 21 28

The consecutive numbers are the channels of the transmitted TV stations. I don't know if that's useful information to you.

@#12
Which bolts are you referring to? The ones attaching the cable to the antenna, or the ones holding the antenna together?
So looks like you need a Wide-band aerial as your receiving channels from 26 to 65
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/aerials.html#WidebandIdentification
have a look at this site, in the middle graphs, it will explain what types of aerials are for.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Actually, you don't need a broadband antenna to receive the UHF band from channels 14 - 84, since the frequency range is 450 - 900 MHz. This is only a 2:1 ratio from highest to lowest freq, so a narrow band, high gain Yagi design is going to work best.

The broadband designs (log periodics) are necessary to get the VHF bands.

Even the high VHF band (ch 7 - 13) has a freq range of about 100MHz to 450 MHz, a 4.5:1 ratio so a braoadband is typically incorporated with the UHF yagi to get both bands.

The newest "digital" antennas are designed to get high VHF and UHF so they have the UHF Yagi and the VHF broadband together.

An old style broadband that gets the full frequency range shows the log periodic elements of varying lengths.(see below)

The new ones for just UHF and high VHF don't have the longer array for the low frequency range.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I didn't own a TV until I was 26, and that was because I was laid up with a broken leg. Had to kill some time while I healed.:p