Turning my alarm clock into theft surveillance system

bigrobot

Joined Feb 19, 2017
There has been a long history of theft and nonsense with regards to my property when I’m away. I’d like to therefore create a surveillance system with my clock.

The room in question has just one doorway, and only one light switch (beside the door). The room is mostly dark, which means the light would most likely be switched on. If need be, the light switch could act as a trigger.

The light switch is a regular, old-fashioned light switch. It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/Zleu2s6.jpg.

Pics of clock are here: http://imgur.com/a/OrYXo. There are only two transparent parts to the face of the panel: the part behind the number-LCD, and the narrow horizontal strip where the orange slider can be seen.

What do I need to accomplish this project? What things would fit inside this clock?

Last edited:

bigrobot

Joined Feb 19, 2017
AnalogKid, thank you for your reply.

What project? You don't say what you want to achieve, how you think it might function,
The project to turn my alarm clock into a surveillance system. When it detects activity, the camera and mic will record. I'd like all the components to be inside the clock. Please take a look at the photo album I linked to. I took pics of the external, as well as photos after I opened up the case.
what components you have or have access to, etc.
Here is my purchase history: http://goo.gl/TWKcfT. Please note that the two cameras in that list are already reserved for another project.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
There has been a long history of theft and nonsense with regards to my property when I’m away. I’d like to therefore create a surveillance system with my clock.
How does "I'd like to create a surveillance device with my clock" logically follow from "there has been a long history of theft and nonsense......" and if you think you need some kind of video/ audio recorder, how did you determine that a clock is the best place to house it? What happens if someone steals the clock or it's facing the wrong way or the intruder does not switch the light on? Can you think of a more convoluted and flawed solution?

As spinnaker points out; First, secure the door!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you want a surveillance system, then get one. AFAIK there are no components in a clock that will be useful in such a system except possibly as an object of misdirection.

A good lock on the door might be the better way to go.
Spinnaker has a good point you should for a starting point reinforce to lock after that you could use a arduino pro mini (to keep it small) and a camera like this one then have it put the data on a micro sd card. If I where you then I would have it trigged by a photo resistor.
A.H.W.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014

The room in question has just one doorway, and only one light switch (beside the door). The room is mostly dark, which means the light would most likely be switched on. If need be, the light switch could act as a trigger.

The light switch is a regular, old-fashioned light switch. It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/Zleu2s6.jpg.

Pics of clock are here. There are only two transparent parts to the face of the panel: the part behind the number-LCD, and the narrow horizontal strip where the orange slider can be seen.

What do I need to accomplish this project? What things would fit inside this clock?
Hi,

You are better off installing a door switch as a minimum rather than use the light switch because anyone with a flashlight will not usually turn on the light anyway because the window would show that someone turned on the light to anyone outside and the thief would not like that.

You should at least use a magnet switch which is relatively cheap, and make sure the switch is not accessible from outside the room.

One way to use the clock is to find the place in the circuit where the counter gets it's timing pulse. If you can find a place where the clock ticks for one second you can install a debounce circuit for the door switch. When you go out, the clock will read say 12:00 and when you open the door it will read 12:01, then when you close the door it will read 12:02 (if you set it up that way). Now when you come home you open the door and the clock will read 12:03, but if anyone else entered before that it will read 12:04 or more (like 12:05). The debounce circuit is made to only allow pulses of maybe 3/4 of a second through as well, so it would take the thief many hours of opening and closing the door to get back to 12:01 and then close the door 12:02 which is the very the place where you left it.
The clock has to run on batteries however or else a power failure will reset the clock. It does not have to run when you are home, just when you are out. The clock and debounce circuit should be sealed inside the clock so that nothing can interfere with the 3/4 second debounce.
This is just one idea, and of course the switch would activate the camera too if you want that.

bigrobot

Joined Feb 19, 2017
If you want a surveillance system, then get one. AFAIK there are no components in a clock that will be useful in such a system except possibly as an object of misdirection.
I want to use the clock because it has been in my room a long time. So yes, it serves as an "object of misdirection""

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I want to use the clock because it has been in my room a long time. So yes, it serves as an "object of misdirection""
When I first read your post, it sounded like you wanted to use the inside guts for the project. Approximately how much empty volume is inside the clock?
Would a GoPro camera work? Or do you need something smaller?

bigrobot

Joined Feb 19, 2017
When I first read your post, it sounded like you wanted to use the inside guts for the project. Approximately how much empty volume is inside the clock?
Would a GoPro camera work? Or do you need something smaller?
I think a GoPro is too big. Did you take a look at the pics? I think it will give a better answer than my words.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think a GoPro is too big. Did you take a look at the pics? I think it will give a better answer than my words.
The only picture I saw of yours was the wall switch, which I found less than informative, with respect to you intentions. Did you post a picture of the inside of the clock?
Oh...I see it now you hid it behind the word here, my mistake.
WOW! That is a pretty tight, low profile package. I wouln't make book on your prospects of getting a camera in there.

Last edited:

bigrobot

Joined Feb 19, 2017
How does "I'd like to create a surveillance device with my clock" logically follow from "there has been a long history of theft and nonsense......"
I wrote of a problem. I wrote of what I'd like to do as a response. Note: I said a response. I did not write about the other things I plan to do besides surveillance.

and if you think you need some kind of video/ audio recorder, how did you determine that a clock is the best place to house it?
I wrote of a preference: "I'd like to use my clock."

What happens if someone steals the clock or it's facing the wrong way
I'm not concerned with the clock being stolen or turned around The clock has been there for years.

or the intruder does not switch the light on? Can you think of a more convoluted and flawed solution?
I'm banking on the light being turned on, as the room is dark. However, we don't need to link the recording being triggered by the flicking of the light switch. It was just an idea. The surveillance system could have a sensor of its own.

As spinnaker points out; First, secure the door!
In good time. First step: surveillance. Securing comes later.

bigrobot

Joined Feb 19, 2017
you could use a arduino pro mini (to keep it small) and a camera like this one then have it put the data on a micro sd card. If I where you then I would have it trigged by a photo resistor.
Hello, AHW,
Do you think that the arduino pro mini (and the camera, photo resistor) would fit into my clock? Sorry if I didn't make the link clear (PapaBravo missed it). The link to the pics of the clock's external and insides are here: https://imgur.com/a/OrYXo

Would the camera's eye be small enough to see through the horizontal slit (where orange tuner is)?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
In good time. First step: surveillance. Securing comes later.
No actually it comes first. Unless you have other intentions than securing your property.

What should really come first is for you to move from were you are. If you are being truthful in your story then you can't just the people that live on the popperty.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello, AHW,
Do you think that the arduino pro mini (and the camera, photo resistor) would fit into my clock? Sorry if I didn't make the link clear (PapaBravo missed it). The link to the pics of the clock's external and insides are here: https://imgur.com/a/OrYXo

Would the camera's eye be small enough to see through the horizontal slit (where orange tuner is)?
If you tore all of the guts out of the clock then yes.

bigrobot

Joined Feb 19, 2017
You are better off installing a door switch as a minimum rather than use the light switch because anyone with a flashlight will not usually turn on the light anyway because the window would show that someone turned on the light to anyone outside and the thief would not like that.
Thank you for your helpful, constructive advice.
For door switch, do you have something hidden in mind? Or something visible, like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13247? I don't want it be visible. This is why I had the light switch in mind: I thought we could unscrew the two screws and place whatever is needed behind the faceplate, and then re-screw. I'm not stuck on the light switch... just bringing it up there as something that is out of sight.

One way to use the clock is to find the place in the circuit where the counter gets it's timing pulse. If you can find a place where the clock ticks for one second you can install a debounce circuit for the door switch. When you go out, the clock will read say 12:00 and when you open the door it will read 12:01, then when you close the door it will read 12:02 (if you set it up that way). Now when you come home you open the door and the clock will read 12:03, but if anyone else entered before that it will read 12:04 or more (like 12:05). The debounce circuit is made to only allow pulses of maybe 3/4 of a second through as well, so it would take the thief many hours of opening and closing the door to get back to 12:01 and then close the door 12:02 which is the very the place where you left it.
The clock has to run on batteries however or else a power failure will reset the clock. It does not have to run when you are home, just when you are out. The clock and debounce circuit should be sealed inside the clock so that nothing can interfere with the 3/4 second debounce.
If I understand you correctly, this will simply inform me if someone opened the door, and how many times. This isn't really a priority for me. What is a priority is to record the happenings that are done when I'm gone.