Trying to understand this DI module and why the D GND needs to be wired like this.

Integration Jordan C

Joined Mar 8, 2024
So I have a DI module that we are wiring from a CNC controller (Hypertherm EDGE PRO) to toggle and monitor certain outputs for remote monitoring. My question is for the wiring for DRY and WET contact wiring. I haven't had to deal with a digital module in my short career so I am trying not to screw this up. At least speaking with ADAM and the wiring diagram I need to wire each of my inputs from both the DI termials and D. GND. So 7 inputs in total are coming from the CNC to the DI and then another 7 wires leading from my DI input terminals to the single D. GND. I would really like to understand why this needs to take place. Additionally, I am curious about the DI automatically knowing whether or not the contact is Dry Or Wet if you have used a similar model before. Or does it even matter? Another link to the sale page from ADAM
1710959395517.png

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is not the definition as I understand it.
Dry contact although may carry up to rated current, it does not open or close when current may be present,
IOW, typical use is for circuit enable etc

Integration Jordan C

Joined Mar 8, 2024
That is what ADAM's is using for their module definition if you look under digital input. I do see what you mean and you are correct. Would it be more clear if I sent the details of the CNC machine? I just want to understand and do this correctly. I miss my ethernet and AI modules lol. At least, is the understanding of the wiring itself correct? 7 ch in and 7 wires sinking into the D.GND as well?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have never used those units, but they appear to be normal low current, possibly isolated I/O's.
What is your main concern with the set-up?

Integration Jordan C

Joined Mar 8, 2024
Just make sure I am wiring this thing correctly haha. It seems counter intuitive to wire the output(from CNC) to a a channel input and to use that same output signal(CNC) as D.GND

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Common grounds are used all the time, as long as the +V is kept separate.
In fact, that was always a policy of mine in CNC retro-fits etc, to common up all PS commons to earth GND, where possible.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
D.GND is Digital ground - it is a reference potential for the onboard I/O but it is not directly connected to any I/O. circuit as shown in post #7 is wrong. post #8 shows some existing wiring. the module in the middle of the page (modicon io base with communication adapter) uses PNP style I/O (although the internal LEDs are shown with wrong polarity and without limiting resistors). this is seen by first input (I:209) which need to be pulled high to activate "CNC present" and positive feed to it's outputs (clearly marked +24V). so you need to wire ADAM the same way - wet contacts.

Integration Jordan C

Joined Mar 8, 2024
So in this case, using this Cable looks to be 6 outputs. I understand you mean I need to wire this into the ADAM and then back into the CNC for this to work as I can pull a normal GND for D.GND.

Still just trying to wrap my head around exactly this. What would be the correct way to wire given the additional information? Been told many different ways
D.GND is Digital ground - it is a reference potential for the onboard I/O but it is not directly connected to any I/O. circuit as shown in post #7 is wrong. post #8 shows some existing wiring. the module in the middle of the page (modicon io base with communication adapter) uses PNP style I/O (although the internal LEDs are shown with wrong polarity and without limiting resistors). this is seen by first input (I:209) which need to be pulled high to activate "CNC present" and positive feed to it's outputs (clearly marked +24V). so you need to wire ADAM the same way - wet contacts.
to complete this.
1711146307916.png1711146376721.jpeg

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
this is only signals. there is no noise or power consideration
therefore type of connector or cable is simply matter of how you manage it.
the most important thing is that circuits (using any type of wiring) are correct.
and that means understanding signal polarity.