Trying to repair a bigscreen TV

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So tell me.
Do you think Audio IC is OK?
I think it is Ok.

Is Audio the only problem the TV has ?
yes i think the ic (sound processor, 64 pin ic) is ok but i don't think its getting any input. I think the other ic (matrix switch, 28 pin ic) is not sending the signal to it when it should. i need to confirm this now that i have service manual but i have not confirmed it yet.

yes, audio is the only problem.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I just got done fiddling with the TV looking through the service manual and found the the service manual does not mention the matrix switch. It shows it in the physical arrangement diagram (page 34, IA900) but not in the schematic. I found that I am getting inputs to the sound processor IC; 44,45 correspond to composite A/V input 1; 41,42 correspond to composite A/V input 2; 38,39 correspond to composite A/V input 3 (front panel). I am also getting outputs from the sound processor IC. Identical outputs on pins 28,29 and 25,26. one of these outputs goes to the composite A/V output in the rear; don't know where the other goes. I have no output on pins 20,21 to the amplifier/front speakers.

I am thinking either the sound IC is bad or there is some fault that needs to be cleared in the service menu; I cannot access the service menu because I don't have the remote.

what do you guys think?

I can connect the leads I soldered to the amplifier inputs to the outputs on 28,29 or 25,26 and get sound out of the front speakers, but I have no volume control and if I switch the channel, I will still have sound output from the composite A/V input .

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I just got done fiddling with the TV looking through the service manual and found the the service manual does not mention the matrix switch. It shows it in the physical arrangement diagram (page 34, IA900) but not in the schematic. I found that I am getting inputs to the sound processor IC; 44,45 correspond to composite A/V input 1; 41,42 correspond to composite A/V input 2; 38,39 correspond to composite A/V input 3 (front panel). I am also getting outputs from the sound processor IC. Identical outputs on pins 28,29 and 25,26. one of these outputs goes to the composite A/V output in the rear; don't know where the other goes. I have no output on pins 20,21 to the amplifier/front speakers.

I am thinking either the sound IC is bad or there is some fault that needs to be cleared in the service menu; I cannot access the service menu because I don't have the remote.

what do you guys think?

I can connect the leads I soldered to the amplifier inputs to the outputs on 28,29 or 25,26 and get sound out of the front speakers, but I have no volume control and if I switch the channel, I will still have sound output from the composite A/V input .
Is there a little chip on the board with 8 legs that looks like a DIP?

Probably an EEPROM.

Try removing it and seeing if you get sound. (All channel information is stored in this, so you will probably have to use one of the video inputs, and all settings will reset to the defaults.) *Carefully* remove it while the set is off and put it in a safe place. Then turn it on.

N.B. Some TVs don't like having EEPROMs removed and won't boot, others do.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Okay I just got word of a 40" rear projection (Samsung) being thrown out. I'm getting it for nothing, so I will see how it goes. I'm also buying a 5.1 system with no power for £30, and a PS3 with the YLOD for £10, and a 32" Acoustic Solutions LCD which turns itself off after a few minutes for £30.

Last edited:

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Wow... 42" actually

It makes a slight buzzing sound when plugged in and the red stby indicator stays lit. Buttons can't make it turn on.

I'll be taking it apart shortly and posting pics inside of it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Wow... 42" actually

It makes a slight buzzing sound when plugged in and the red stby indicator stays lit. Buttons can't make it turn on.

I'll be taking it apart shortly and posting pics inside of it.
Your post on fixing TVs will be like an instructable rather than a cry for help. maybe it will be a sticky. "hot to fix T.V.s"

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Your post on fixing TVs will be like an instructable rather than a cry for help. maybe it will be a sticky. "hot to fix T.V.s"
More like "How Not to Fix TVs"

How not to fix an LCD monitor backlight: Rip it out and install LEDs :D

How not to fix an RPTV: Turn off the blue

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Looking at your service manual... it appears there is only one tube? I thought this was a projection TV?

Check pin #16 of the MSP3411.

Check RA058, and RA050.

Check for good 5V on all power pins.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Still fighting on it huh!!

My net is more like snail speed.
I will look into it after returning home, it will more like in 10 days time.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
There used to be tons of schematics available on the 'Net for generating test patterns and color bars; but they seem to have gone away - many websites are down at this point in time.

However, I found this interesting article, which should be quite helpful:
http://www.videouniversity.com/articles/color-bars-and-how-to-use-em

And the article was so good, that he got a note from the son of the inventor of the color bar pattern generator, here:
http://www.videouniversity.com/articles/email-from-the-inventor-of-color-bars

I found it very interesting reading.