Troubleshoot Genie ISD1000 Excelerator (gear-drive, 1/2 hp) (Home Depot 26 Jan 2001; new ckt boards May 2023)

TN_AL

Joined Jan 6, 2024
Garage Door Opener: Genie ISD1000 Excelerator (gear-drive, 1/2 hp, 2001 from Home Depot).

In May 2023 Genie kindly provided two working replacement circuit boards (CB), 36428R.S (Motor) & 36600R.S (Control).

Need motor board but not available from Genie.

Does anyone have the circuit diagram for the two CB's? Suggestions for troubleshooting.

Any one have FMEA data when CB's were designed and tested (suspect E-Caps)? What component will cause these symptoms?

Has anyone turned a axially splined chain-drive shaft (unit turned 90 degrees) to couple to the existing gear-drive? See sketch below.

Last month, New problem. Symptoms: unit runs 2-3 seconds, stops, no further unless power is reset (unplug, replug 120 vac), then unit repeats same symptoms. This started upon re-framing the rough-opening, plenty of clearance now.

Motor CB is no longer available. Genie's only available gear drive unit is 2 hp and offered that, waiting. I asked Genie to forego that 2 hp gear-drive replacement unit and send the Control CB, and help with diagnostics, i.e., which board is likely trouble, a CB circuit diagram, FMEA, etc.

Meanwhile, Lowes sold to me a discounted, returned chain drive Genie unit, model 1035. It remains in the box as an option. I prefer to replace the CB's on my gear-drive 1/2 hp unit.
1704572850956.png
Genie 1035 drive motor, splined shaft end

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Welcome to AAC
Any one have FMEA data when CB's were designed and tested (suspect E-Caps)? What component will cause these symptoms?

Symptoms: unit runs 2-3 seconds, stops, no further unless power is reset (unplug, replug 120 vac), then unit repeats same symptoms. This started upon re-framing the rough-opening, plenty of clearance now.
Last time I had a similar issue with MY Genie it was the wire connection to the motor motion sensing wheel.

Genie replaced the whole motor so now I have an extra motor. Took the motion sensor wires and pressed them more firmly into their connector housing, they're the type that you don't strip the wires you just shove them in-between a couple sharp edged contacts that break through the insulation and make connection.

I have plans to use the old motor without the motion sensor wheel to stir paint. Will one day make a YouTube video of how I made a paint can mixer.

In short - fully diagnose the problem before you throw money at it.

[edit] It took me a few minutes to figure out that by CB you weren't referring to a CB Radio but rather a Circuit Board. What we call around here a PCB, or Printed Circuit Board.

It's OK. Not everyone knows the jargon when they're learning.

TN_AL

Joined Jan 6, 2024
Welcome to AAC

Last time I had a similar issue with MY Genie it was the wire connection to the motor motion sensing wheel.

Genie replaced the whole motor so now I have an extra motor. Took the motion sensor wires and pressed them more firmly into their connector housing, they're the type that you don't strip the wires you just shove them in-between a couple sharp edged contacts that break through the insulation and make connection.

I have plans to use the old motor without the motion sensor wheel to stir paint. Will one day make a YouTube video of how I made a paint can mixer.

In short - fully diagnose the problem before you throw money at it.

[edit] It took me a few minutes to figure out that by CB you weren't referring to a CB Radio but rather a Circuit Board. What we call around here a PCB, or Printed Circuit Board.

It's OK. Not everyone knows the jargon when they're learning.
Grateful, thanks Tonyr1084. The sensing wheel had fallen off the motor shaft. Re-attached a new one and the opener now works ! ! (I wondered why Genie sent this new wheel in May with the newer PCB's. Now I know why.)

TN_AL

Joined Jan 6, 2024
You saying your problems have been resolved? If so - glad I could help.
YES, symptoms went away. One test, must move on to next issues with the door itself. Re-calling Service PLUS tech, Jake. Thanks for pointing me in the direction that did resolve Genie motor-control issue. The remote and the door are now closer to normal operation using the remote! Big deal. I will probably return Genie 1035 chain-drive to Lowes. Still hopeful Genie will provide troubleshooting data (PCB circuit diagrams, FMEA, Operating Theory, etc.).

This door worked fine for ~ 20 years, extended last May with 2 newer PCB's. Hoping for more life out of it. Appears Genie has stopped supplying the 1/2 hp screw-drive operators.

Grateful for your kind response.

Al