trouble with magnetic switch

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Depends on the vehicle. Some use a rectangular or square wave of a specific amplitude and on some it's a sine wave of specific amplitude. They even make assorted signal conditioning units or adapters to convert one type to another.

Ron

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Yes , in a normal street vehicle that is the way it works but that's electronic injection.
I've built a couple of cars from scratch in my lifetime, using electric fuel pumps and carburetors, and your right they are different from fuel injection. With a carb the fuel pump runs when ever the key is in the run position, and the float valve in the carb(s) controls flow into them. There is a difference in pressure between a pump made for carbs and one made for injection.

speedrazor

Joined Jan 22, 2020
So your building a prototype car using last century ways of doing things? Good luck with that. NASCAR vehicles also don't stop and star in driving either.
They stop and start at the pits
I've built a couple of cars from scratch in my lifetime, using electric fuel pumps and carburetors, and your right they are different from fuel injection. With a carb the fuel pump runs when ever the key is in the run position, and the float valve in the carb(s) controls flow into them. There is a difference in pressure between a pump made for carbs and one made for injection.
The engine already runs just fine . It doesn't have fuel injection or a carburetor...It has something I built and that something I built needs an engine sensor to turn the fuel off and on as a safety measure which I am going to do from crankshaft rotation . The design is already there and already works with EVERY type of adjustability imaginable including supercharged turbocharged and nitrous induction

speedrazor

Joined Jan 22, 2020
So your building a prototype car using last century ways of doing things? Good luck with that. NASCAR vehicles also don't stop and star in driving either.
Also nascars do stop and start at the pits don't they and couldn't they do that over and over if they weren't in a hurry ?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
They stop and start at the pits

The engine already runs just fine . It doesn't have fuel injection or a carburetor...It has something I built and that something I built needs an engine sensor to turn the fuel off and on as a safety measure which I am going to do from crankshaft rotation . The design is already there and already works with EVERY type of adjustability imaginable including supercharged turbocharged and nitrous induction
Can't wait to see this on Youtube or in a car magazine.

speedrazor

Joined Jan 22, 2020
Depends on the vehicle. Some use a rectangular or square wave of a specific amplitude and on some it's a sine wave of specific amplitude. They even make assorted signal conditioning units or adapters to convert one type to another.

Ron
Hi Ron , I really appreciate your help , that was exactly what I was looking for. electrical isn't my area of expertise. The reason I really wasn't interested in tapping off the tach circuit is because I have tried to keep the circuits on this car as separate as I can and the oil pressure on this car falls at a slow rate for about 4 seconds so it was too long to for me. I guess I'm too much of a control freak... I'm not impatient I just want everything RIGHT NOW...lol Kent

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hi Ron , I really appreciate your help , that was exactly what I was looking for. electrical isn't my area of expertise. The reason I really wasn't interested in tapping off the tach circuit is because I have tried to keep the circuits on this car as separate as I can and the oil pressure on this car falls at a slow rate for about 4 seconds so it was too long to for me. I guess I'm too much of a control freak... I'm not impatient I just want everything RIGHT NOW...lol Kent
Learning curve at work. My motor head days were during the 60s. I no longer even change the oil in my or my wife's trucks. I know enough to be dangerous. Hope the project works out well for you.

Ron