treadmill motor upgrade

Commah

Joined Nov 19, 2023
I have a worn 1hp motor and electronics removed from an older treadmill and installed under my lathe. The setup has worked great. I've decided to replace the old, worn motor with a newly refurbished or upgrade the motor to a 2+hp motor.

The only reference I have is the label stuck to the side of the motor. Is it possible to upgrade this??

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are many to be had usually either on Ebay or a local on-line market.
Even a TM for 'Free Pick-up' is another source.
I would opt for the Johnson versions if possible.
The only reason they state CW or CCW only is that they have a threaded flywheel on the shaft.

Commah

Joined Nov 19, 2023
There are many to be had usually either on Ebay or a local on-line market.
Even a TM for 'Free Pick-up' is another source.
I would opt for the Johnson versions if possible.
The only reason they state CW or CCW only is that they have a threaded flywheel on the shaft.
Thank you

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Is the actual question: Will the same electronics work with a higher power motor? Probably the existing electronics package will not be able to supply twice the power, because that may require twice the current, which probably will not be available from the present driver, if it was designed to supply that motor.

Commah

Joined Nov 19, 2023
Is the actual question: Will the same electronics work with a higher power motor? Probably the existing electronics package will not be able to supply twice the power, because that may require twice the current, which probably will not be available from the present driver, if it was designed to supply that motor.
Thank you, clears that up.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It is my experience with T.M. controllers that in general, it is common to use the same output devices across the model range.
Is the controller the older style Triac bridge type or PWM?

Commah

Joined Nov 19, 2023
It is my experience with T.M. controllers that in general, it is common to use the same output devices across the model range.
Is the controller the older style Triac bridge type or PWM?
Well, it's an older setup so I'm assuming Triac?? What do I look for to determine?

Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Actually it would be a pair of SCR's not Triacs! :oops:
There would be two SCR's and two rectifier's generally mounted to a common HS.
The PWM version generally detected by the existence of one or two quite large electrolytic's, which the SCR version does not have.