Treadmill motor PWM

DANger-is

Joined Nov 3, 2021
I have a Treadmill motor that I would like to retrofit to a Honey extractor, with variable speed. I've attached photos of the main board and also the board where the control of the treadmill where. From my very limited understanding I can't simply fit a POT to the main board? I believe I need to use a PWM to control the speed but this is as much as I have managed to workout. I've looked through threads on here but they go over my head very quickly.

The motor is 180v, I've seen cheap controllers on ebay but they are only good for up to 48v. Do I need a controller which is rated to 180v like the one here, PWM controller ? Or can I use the smaller cheaper ones?

Secondly, where do I wire it in? Does this completely replace the old board from the treadmill or does it need to be wired into it?

My knowledge is embarrassingly limited so you'll need to use simple terms for me but I'm keen to learn and understand!

board 1.jpg

Board 2.jpg

Board 3.jpg

Motor.jpg

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Many of the more popular MC2100 boards use a 20Hz PWM control signal, I don't recognize that particular board, so I cannot help there, but you normally do not need the original console board to run the motor board.
I could not detect any model No. on the main board as this would help in a internet search for Youtube videos etc.

DANger-is

Joined Nov 3, 2021
The model number on the main board is BC-1068, the number on the secondary board where the controls are is BC-8586II(2). On the secondary board there is also another smaller board that reads 'PULSE-F'

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
The model number on the main board is BC-1068, the number on the secondary board where the controls are is BC-8586II(2). On the secondary board there is also another smaller board that reads 'PULSE-F'
With present uC modules like Arduino Nano 33 BLE SENSE you can control the treadmill DC motor with 1 or more parallel triacs and bridge rectifiers to get required DCV and control the speed of the DC motor with PWM signal from the Arduino module with one or more power Mosfet or IGBT preferably Logic gate power switch. If you want me to design such a circuit which is very simple and C++ Arduino code is also very simple and tiny, I can do that in a few days and post it here.

Then you can configure the treadmill using WiFi or BLE with your Smartphone App and the Smartphone can be used as the dockable dashboard of your treadmill using its USB C port as wired connection for any other part of the treadmill hardware if required.

DANger-is

Joined Nov 3, 2021
Thanks for your reply Jayanthd, I'll be using this on a honey extractor build so using my phone to control the motor wouldn't be very efficient. I do know a little bit about Arduino but I'm wonder if the control below might be an easier way out of my problem?

This speed controller

What do you think, will this work?

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
Thanks for your reply Jayanthd, I'll be using this on a honey extractor build so using my phone to control the motor wouldn't be very efficient. I do know a little bit about Arduino but I'm wonder if the control below might be an easier way out of my problem?

This speed controller

What do you think, will this work?

If the TREADmill motor is used for honey extractor then also you can use my design method and get an App created using Blynk and you can have specific preset honey extraction programs in the App which sends out the byte code to Arduino using BLE and based on the byte code information the specific honey extraction program runs using a switch case... statement on Arduino.

Say, you have 256 different honey extraction preset programs then you just sent bytes like...

0x00, 0xFE, ...

depending upon the byte value one HEP runs for corresponding time...

The system might not need docking of the SPhone, but the HoneyExtractor will be fully automatic.