Treadmill Motor control

melidron

Joined Jan 11, 2024
Hello from Greece
I have a treadmill and I want to replace the motor control cause I wanted to take control with an Arduino UNO R4 WIFI PCB and I couldnt do the right connections with the motor control PCB... So I would like to make something from the start to control Belt Motor and Incline Motor with Arduino UNO R4 ... Till now I ve been suggested to buy a Gate Driver IRS2453DS and a IPB60R045P7 MOSFET but never been told what else I need to buy and how to connect all these together to make treadmill work with safety...
If someone knows what else I need to buy and how to do the right connections please tell me here
The Belt Motor is 180 VDC and 220AC /50Hz is the voltage of Geece
Thanks in advanced

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So do you need to make the present TM back in working order? Or some other application?
If the former, what is the model of TM?
If other uses,
For the incline control, I would copy the method used in the popular MC2100, you will find the schematic here on the site.
Do you require bi-directional control for the DC motor?
Here is some info on PWM drive for DC motor, https://tahmidmc.blogspot.com/2013/01/using-high-low-side-driver-ir2110-with.html
I have never used Arduino, just Picmicro controllers.
Are

melidron

Joined Jan 11, 2024
So do you need to make the present TM back in working order? Or some other application?
If the former, what is the model of TM?
If other uses,
For the incline control, I would copy the method used in the popular MC2100, you will find the schematic here on the site.
Do you require bi-directional control for the DC motor?
Here is some info on PWM drive for DC motor, https://tahmidmc.blogspot.com/2013/01/using-high-low-side-driver-ir2110-with.html
I have never used Arduino, just Picmicro controllers.
Are

yes i want to use it like treadmill... i have removed microcontroller from its socker and when i short VDD with 2 other pins i can lift or lower the incline motor...
but i can not start at all the belt motor... i get only a kick move when i short VSS with PWM and thats it...
model is ToorX not a famous treadmill and no schematics or service manual of the motor controller

Attachments

melidron

Joined Jan 11, 2024
Bit of a problem without schematic, You more of less have to start from scratch in a design.
yes thats why I asked suggestions of electronic parts that would make it to work...if u know how to do it even with a picmicro I will buy one and follow your steps as u suggest me...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So if you want to design from scratch, I would tend to get hold of a MC200 board and adapt it.
Also, many use a processor in the console as well as the main board, so you would need to tie into it if it uses the same principle.
Not a trivial task in all, IMO !,.

melidron

Joined Jan 11, 2024
So if you want to design from scratch, I would tend to get hold of a MC200 board and adapt it.
Also, many use a processor in the console as well as the main board, so you would need to tie into it if it uses the same principle.
Not a trivial task in all, IMO !,.
MC200 Board can drive both motors? incline motor and Belt motor? Also what processor u talk about? I dont understand what u meant by that...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In your words, Microcontroller.
Many makes use a Microcontroller in the console as well as main control board.
There is usually some degree of communication between them.

melidron

Joined Jan 11, 2024
In your words, Microcontroller.
Many makes use a Microcontroller in the console as well as main control board.
There is usually some degree of communication between them.
i dont know how to make microcontroller comunicates with my arduino board...I upload Datasheet of microcontroller and motor driver if it helps you understand anything...

Attachments

MikeA

Joined Jan 20, 2013
A treadmill motor doesn't just spin. There is sophisticated feedback to keep the belt moving at a constant speed. Every step slows down the belt via friction. Without that feedback the belt would slow down on every step and it would be a horrible experience.

momososo

Joined Nov 15, 2016
Hacking into the control panel is safer than directly changing/connecting the motor control board.
I don't know what type of treadmill you have, I'm guessing it has at least one button. Hack the button and stay safe.

melidron

Joined Jan 11, 2024
Hacking into the control panel is safer than directly changing/connecting the motor control board.
I don't know what type of treadmill you have, I'm guessing it has at least one button. Hack the button and stay safe.
A treadmill's control panel IC was blowned and I have not the firmware to program a new one, so the Control Board is useless ...That's why I decided to use an arduino UNO R4 pcb to hack the motor Board, but since I have no schematic of the board I dont know how to connect them between each other...not how to simulate any button to make motor start spinning...Now I try to trace the Motor Board and then upload it here this could help someone here explain me about the right connections...

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am not aware of what sort of speed feedback your treadmill motor provides, BUT closed loop feedback DC motor speed controls are not new and there are a lot of them around, both new and used. That is another option that exists. And in Greece there is plenty of technical material and expertise around. So here is another option.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am not aware of what sort of speed feedback your treadmill motor provides, BUT closed loop feedback DC motor speed controls are not new
The vast majority have a speed sensor on the belt, Also quite a few have dual processors, one in the operator console, the other on the motor board.
In many cases, the belt sensor is fed up to the console, The console processor then sends a correction signal down to the Motor control board.
It sounds like the OP wishes to use an Arduino for a controller, it is no mean feat to implement a TM program in all.

melidron

Joined Jan 11, 2024
The vast majority have a speed sensor on the belt, Also quite a few have dual processors, one in the operator console, the other on the motor board.
In many cases, the belt sensor is fed up to the console, The console processor then sends a correction signal down to the Motor control board.
It sounds like the OP wishes to use an Arduino for a controller, it is no mean feat to implement a TM program in all.
i wish I knew how to do that control of the treadmill motor with Arduino

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Generating the control signal just takes a few ICs. Then creating the PWM part is another couple. Calculating the speed and driving the display are the hard parts. But just making it run at a constant speed set with a knob on a pot is not big and does not require a processor.