Treadmill DC Motor Arcing problem

John2509

Joined Nov 9, 2021
Hi! Everyone,
I have a treadmill with ALATECH Alt-6100 control board.The problem I'm facing is that there was heavy arcing from the motor band then it stopped.So I tested the MOSFETs IRFP406x 2nos and found them burnt out.I replaced the Mosfets and cleaned the commutator and brushes but still found the motor arcing.The motor is a 200V DC 1.5/3 hp motor.I disconnected the motor and found that the voltage at the terminal is 165VDC when turned on in stopped condition.Checked voltage generated by motor and it doesn't go up more that 1VDC when turned by hand.Eagerly awaiting Your ideas and suggestion -TIA

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
First check the motor with DC source such as an automotive battery.
Use a suitable lamp bulb 100w or so, on the motor leads from the T.M while you do any testing, not faililiar with that model, but presumably the motor is PWM controlled if you have mosfets.

Last edited:

Erdem94

Joined Oct 14, 2021
First of all you must drive treadmill with 12v or 24v .If you see an arc , rotor wing is burn. But no arc in motor , you control main board diode ,mosfet

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The OP said 1v when turned by hand, it would help if a little higher rpm could be used.
If still low, then most likely loss of brush contact?

Alchemy One

Joined Oct 5, 2019
The OP said 1v when turned by hand, it would help if a little higher rpm could be used.
If still low, then most likely loss of brush contact?
=======================
ERDEM94 comment is, you must drive Treadmill motor with 12 or 24VDC. Unless he means just to see if there is spark or not.