Transistors dimension with changing CMOS technology.

Alex_Khan

Joined May 27, 2020
Hello,
Is it possible to replicate/transform electronic circuits between different CMOS technologies?. For example, an amplifier designed in 0.18 um CMOS technology transforms into 0.35um CMOS technology and vice versa. If so, how do you convert the dimension of transistors between different CMOS technology? For instance, W/L =100/1 in 0.18um technology, what will be in 0.35um technology?

Thanks.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Not likely because all rules don't scale by the same amount.

When you start getting to more "modern" process technologies, the P to N ratio changes because they improved P device performance. They also started limiting transistor W/L combinations and, at the company I worked for, they eventually eliminated par Z reduction (reducing effective W for parallel transistors).

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
To the extent that application circuits can be designed at a high level and synthesis left to a CAD tool this might be a feasible concept. It would of course depend on the capability of the toolset. I don't know for a fact that such a capability exists, but it seems plausible.

pacasper

Joined Mar 14, 2023
Hey!
My practice work by the university are about transforming an ADC in 350nm to a 110nm technology. At first you can copy the same sizes from trts and then you can check the DC point. Now you are able to change the sizes to make it work correctly. I will ensure about that. If anyone knows I will be pleased to learn.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hey!
My practice work by the university are about transforming an ADC in 350nm to a 110nm technology. At first you can copy the same sizes from trts and then you can check the DC point. Now you are able to change the sizes to make it work correctly. I will ensure about that. If anyone knows I will be pleased to learn.
I am dubious about the potential success probability.