Transistor question

terrytapp

Joined Mar 30, 2006
A transistor with outputs from the emiiter and the collector

a) will not work
b) will have equal amplitudes and polarities at each point
c) will have opposite polarities at each output
d) will output positive portions on the collector and negative portions on the emitter

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
A transistor with outputs from the emiiter and the collector

a) will not work
b) will have equal amplitudes and polarities at each point
c) will have opposite polarities at each output
d) will output positive portions on the collector and negative portions on the emitter
I think there is not enough information to answer the question. It would help to see a schematic.

terrytapp

Joined Mar 30, 2006
Which answer do you think it is? And why?

hgmjr

I am thinking C
Because the output of the emitter is 180 degrees from the input and the collector output is in phase with the input, so the two outputs are 180 degrees out of phase from each other.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Depends how it has been wired.....
As a general case however, eliminate what is obviously wrong and what is left must be the required answer. You seem to be on the right track, explain why you think the answer is C...

BTW, do you think that any of those answers would apply if wired in Common emitter mode....especially with a grounded or bypasssed emitter..... ?? What is the purpose of AC bypassing on the Emitter..?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Out of all the answers available, I too would choose C. I would do so for the reasons you have stated.

hgmjr

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I would have chosen C ... the circuit typically is a phase splitter.

As I recall, the emitter output was in phase and the collector output was 180 out from the input signal.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I would have chosen C ... the circuit typically is a phase splitter.

As I recall, the emitter output was in phase and the collector output was 180 out from the input signal.
I'm red-faced. Joe is absolutely correct.

That is what I get for speed reading the reason that terrytapp stated.

Thanks for catching that hiccup on my part.

hgmjr