Transformer wiring connections, help

daryll

Joined Jan 22, 2021
Just to check on secondary Toroidal transformer wiring , I brought another Toroidal withe the following specs ,
80 VA Mains Toroidal Transformer 0-230 V : 2 x 18 V
I have used this one before , but the Power supply PCB had a connector block for all 4 secondary wires (Black,red,orange,yellow) , but this time I need to seperate AC supplies , one for a +15 -15 and ground PSU , and +12 -12 and ground PSU , Both PSU need a AC supply between 12 and 20 v , am I right in assuming it will be red,Black for one circuit and Yellow, Orange for the other , so I will end up with 2 AC outputs , both 18v

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes just two separate secondaries, just measure them first, it looks like typical two separate windings, each 18v, they can normally be used in parallel, series, or separately.
Max..

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You are right in that one secondary winding would feed one circuit and the other winding would feed the other circuit.

I cannot tell from the information provided which colour wire connects to which secondary winding. If you have a multimeter you can check resistance between the secondary wires. There will be a low resistance when you check across a pair connected to one of the secondary windings.
Alternatively look at the data for the transformer which you have.

daryll

Joined Jan 22, 2021
Thank you Gentlemen , I had a feeling a was right , but its always best to check from those with far more knowledge than me.
Here a pic from amazon , I know the pic is a 120VA , but its generic amazon image , buts its the same as the one I ordered just 80VA

71SHGvrm-yL._SL1500_.jpg818By9byH9L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The handy thing about toroids, it is relatively easy to add or reduce a winding on toroidal transformers, the ones with identical pairs of secondaries are usually wound together, (Bifilar) this makes them equal when paralleling.
Max.