Transformer identifcation

Simisker

Joined Mar 11, 2021
Hey guys, my brother wheel balancing machine psu just blew and I believe it's the transformer that's causing the problem, but not sure how to source a replacement,
Moed 16*24
Input 0-110v
Output 10va
That's all the info I could find on the transformer, could anyone suggest where I could find a replacement please

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Without knowing the output voltage, no one can guess what a replacement could be. The 10VA rating indicated a low voltage/low current output, but it could be anything...
What chips are around the transformer? Is there a voltage regulator?

Simisker

Joined Mar 11, 2021
This is the full board, thats all I got atm as im not at his garage anymore sorry, the board number is power828-v8 but cant find anything on Google about it

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
That could also be caused by something overloading the secondary winding such as a rectifier or some other components. trace out the schematic for the components following the transformer. rectifier, reservoir capacitor voltage regulator . Post pictures of the printed circuit board. (Both the component side and the etch side.) The components following the transformer may give us an idea of the output voltage of the transformer.

Les.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The transformer got extremely hot before blowing the fuse on the board
That may have damaged it, so it may be worth pursuing a replacement.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with those capacitors but they can absolutely fail without a visual indication. I'd consider replacing them. That could be the solution on its own and if not, at least the board will have fresh caps when you get it going again.

Is there a transistor connected to a heatsink in the lower left of the photo? That's a suspect for replacement as well.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
There is also what appears to be a bridge rectifier (small black rectangular thing) to the left of the transformer. If that goes, it could cause unpredictable results. Or, it could be a full wave rectifier if that tab above the black rectangle is a dual diode TO220 chip. The 16 pin IC on the board, what is the part number? That will tell us if the regulator on the heatsink (which I suspect it is) is a 5V one or something else.
What writing is on the 2 relays, that may indicate an operating voltage.

Simisker

Joined Mar 11, 2021
That may have damaged it, so it may be worth pursuing a replacement.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with those capacitors but they can absolutely fail without a visual indication. I'd consider replacing them. That could be the solution on its own and if not, at least the board will have fresh caps when you get it going again.

Is there a transistor connected to a heatsink in the lower left of the photo? That's a suspect for replacement as well.
Yes, there is a transistor connected to it, ill get better info on it all tomorrow

Simisker

Joined Mar 11, 2021
There is also what appears to be a bridge rectifier (small black rectangular thing) to the left of the transformer. If that goes, it could cause unpredictable results. Or, it could be a full wave rectifier if that tab above the black rectangle is a dual diode TO220 chip. The 16 pin IC on the board, what is the part number? That will tell us if the regulator on the heatsink (which I suspect it is) is a 5V one or something else.
What writing is on the 2 relays, that may indicate an operating voltage.
I'll have to look tomorrow now, and hopefully give anyone here better info.