Total Resistor Power (W)

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
Hello
On my attachment below, there 2 drawings A and B. They are both connected in series/parallel. What is the difference between 2 drawings?
The total resistor of each is 0.2 Ohm, but are they the same Total Power ?
Please help
Thanks
Ken

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In both cases, the current through each resistor is the same. So the power dissipated by each resistor is the same.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Theoretically given identical zero tollerance resistors the voltage across the extra connections is zero both ways so they are identical.

When you factor in tollerance it gets messy since you can have a lower resistor paralleled with a higher resistor, and current will flow thru the extra connections. Not much, so generally they still work very similarly when they are still pretty close in tollerance.

Hopefully one of the spice guys will wander by and give some solid numbers here.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Theoretically given identical zero tollerance resistors the voltage across the extra connections is zero both ways so they are identical.

When you factor in tollerance it gets messy since you can have a lower resistor paralleled with a higher resistor, and current will flow thru the extra connections. Not much, so generally they still work very similarly when they are still pretty close in tollerance.

Hopefully one of the spice guys will wander by and give some solid numbers here.
It's very possible I did it wrong, but I don't see much difference. But a little.
Sorry the lines aren't very dark.

Attachments