Tordial transformer wiring?

bunker

Joined Nov 25, 2019
My first time using a tordial transformer. the transformer is supposed to be a 48 volt center tapped secondary. I have the primary wired this way, blue and violet and brown and gray. I have the secondary wired as red and orange as the center tap and black and yellow each at 24 vac.If this is correct,why am I getting 27.7 volts at the secondary. do I have it wired wrong or is this just the nature of the beast? I posted an image of the transformer info,hope this is enough information. Thanks , Brian

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The voltage will drop to about it's rated voltage when it is supplying it's rated current. When you rectify it's output with a capacitor on the DC side of the bridge rectifier the peak voltage will be 1.414 times the RMS AC voltage at the input to the bridge with no load. As there is no load the capacitor will remain at the peak value.

Les.

bunker

Joined Nov 25, 2019
The voltage will drop to about it's rated voltage when it is supplying it's rated current. When you rectify it's output with a capacitor on the DC side of the bridge rectifier the peak voltage will be 1.414 times the RMS AC voltage at the input to the bridge with no load. As there is no load the capacitor will remain at the peak value.

Les.
so my wiring is correct, thanks for the info

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the voltage is too high with rectifier and smoothing cap, Toroidals are usually fairly easy to modify by removing a few turns (typically 2T/volt).
Just be aware that the secondaries are probably wound bi-filar.
Max.

bunker

Joined Nov 25, 2019
If the voltage is too high with rectifier and smoothing cap, Toroidals are usually fairly easy to modify by removing a few turns (typically 2T/volt).
Just be aware that the secondaries are probably wound bi-filar.
Max.
tha tha thanks, I am old enough to remember Max.