Topo Map with flashing LED

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
Not all the LED's will be illuminated. Only whatever channel is pushed. I also like the chasing idea. Might look more appealing. I will be working with this astron plastic material about 1/8" thick. Might try the punch. i'm more concerned about the LED layout and control. Would I be able to stack additional 4017's for the chase effect?

Thx all for the help!

Steve

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not sure what you mean by parallel in this context. How many total outputs do you want sequencing. We'll deal with the fading as a separate subject later.

You will note the design you show has 25 outputs, each turns on 1 at a time. So what is your total needed?

One figure 12.2 you can add more parallel rows of LEDs to increase the total number off that driver.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
Not sure what you mean by parallel in this context. How many total outputs do you want sequencing. We'll deal with the fading as a separate subject later.

You will note the design you show has 25 outputs, each turns on 1 at a time. So what is your total needed?

One figure 12.2 you can add more parallel rows of LEDs to increase the total number off that driver.

Sorry for the confusion. i mean on you drawing, you have 25 LED's with 3 - 4017's. Can I add another 4017 (U5) at the bottom to give me an additional 8 Led's by taking U3 pin 11 and connecting it to U5 pin 14 with the 100k resistor to vcc? Basically keep adding more 4017's to increase LED's.

As for figure 12.2, does my add portion to your drawing correct?

Thanks for being patient. I don't want to re-invent the wheel when I can learn from a pro.

Steve

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Rather than adding more 4017's you could have 4 groups sequencing together for 100 LED's by having 4 LED's in series rather than a single LED. Vcc would need a boost to maybe 15V. Or use 5 groups of 20 @ 12 V. A solderless breadboard might be handy to try out parts of circuits .
I'm not familiar with Aston plastics products. If it something like the slip sheet @ 9 mm
then drilling might be best. If material is semi pliable & 1/8 in. thick punching might be possible.

Last edited:

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Wow! I am pretty lazy and hundreds of LED's is a lot of work no matter how you do it.
If I were asked to do a project like this my first question would be: "Can I use a projection TV to do a rear (or front) projection onto the topo map?"

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello, I am going to build a topo map that has LED lights that hopefully will fade in and out. Possibly 200 - 300 led's. I am looking for a circuit diagram. I would like for the led's to flash and maybe add a chase without programming. Not sure if I should use 555 timers and 4017. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Steve
You can buy LEDs that flash, blink, fade ,,,
I have bought a lot of such things from Electronic Goldmine. If this is an option for you I will see if I can make a list.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Sorry for the confusion. i mean on you drawing, you have 25 LED's with 3 - 4017's. Can I add another 4017 (U5) at the bottom to give me an additional 8 Led's by taking U3 pin 11 and connecting it to U5 pin 14 with the 100k resistor to vcc? Basically keep adding more 4017's to increase LED's.

As for figure 12.2, does my add portion to your drawing correct?

Thanks for being patient. I don't want to re-invent the wheel when I can learn from a pro.

Steve
Yes you can do that. Your complexity and parts count is creeping up though, you might look at the other ideas and see if they can apply.

OK, so you want a 33 segment LED chaser. You also want to add fading to that. Are the LEDs going to be on their own fade pattern or are they all going to be linked?

If you still want to use the 4017 approach I will help as best I can.

Wouldn't be better to use this as an opportunity to learn about MCU and maybe prototype this using an arduino board.. ? The way i see, putting so much effort into designing a static thing is not good.. ( Forgive me if your design is not static, i presumed as i read the thread it was)

The good thing about arduino is that there is A LOT of simple tutorials to help you understand the basics and there is even videos of your application as well. And then after getting it working with an Arduino board you could buy a standalone atmega328p, a crystal and build the final project.

You could power this with a higher voltage than the 5v of the mcu, put some leds in series, but not all of them, as this is a map and a map is a very flexible design. You could then shift bits to achieve the result you would like(Shift registers).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The problem is learning curve. If you are willing to draw up the design and write the code I'm sure the TS would be interested. But then there is the issue of programming, which is not minor.

There is a reason discrete hardware still has a use.

This is a VERY interesting project, that i would really like to do somewhere in the future using a mcu. Just think a FLEXIBLE( With that i mean a map that can change, not bend) MAP.. that is so cool!! Unfortunately i am working on two stuff simultaneously and both require me to learn and do things, so it's rather difficult for me to help the OP. But i deep encourage him to try to make one.

I said that about using this as an opportunity because i often do that. I could even point him to some really good practical books that i use, some channels on youtube that really fasten up the learning curve.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
How about using a different treatment for each of the three colors, chaser, throbber & random.
Here is an outline for a switch lock out. When one SW is pushed a color channel is activated for 15 sec. while the other two are held at reset. NOR gate might be 4001.Lock Out 00000.jpg

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think you tend to under estimate the amount of work involved. You are talking about learning 3 disciplines, programming (which is not trivial), hardware (which is the same in either case), and programming the uC. The hardware work is going to be involved either way.

Yes i know. That's why i said about using the Arduino board, it has libraries and libraries, it has tutorials, you don't need to really know how to program in c or c++( an example) to get this going. A friend of mine built an very cool LED cube and he had no experience in programming or anything like that ever, that's why i belive arduino is the way to go if you wanna speed up your projects with mcu.

Or i am just talking rubbish( I also often do that). :rolleyes:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I disagree that you don't need to know how to program in C or C++. It might be simple programming, but you need to learn the basics. And you need to be able to configure (or program) the microprocessor. I'll give you that Arduinos are easy in this regard. But it still is something to learn.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
Thank you all for the replies! I see that I am dealing with advance and experts that offer awesome information. I would love to learn the micro processor system in the future due to lack of time for this project. I know I can buy systems already made but I prefer to do a little soldering and construction to exercise my brain. Oh and lets not forget the stress. My Dad was a real whizz at electronics but since he has passed, I don't know anyone else that can help. This is the very 1st time I have ever joined a club or forum and I am so surprised and appreciative for all the help. I was digging through some storage boxes and found almost (100) 4017's, and a big bag of 555's. Tons of resistors and caps + other IC's. I would like to put some of these parts to use. My dad had a program called EagleCad and it seems to be a good program. I will continue to ask questions for help so Thank you all for being patient and taking the time to help this 100 % novice member.

Steve

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
Yes you can do that. Your complexity and parts count is creeping up though, you might look at the other ideas and see if they can apply.

OK, so you want a 33 segment LED chaser. You also want to add fading to that. Are the LEDs going to be on their own fade pattern or are they all going to be linked?

If you still want to use the 4017 approach I will help as best I can.

I think 1 group will be at least 33 segment chaser which will be all linked and then I can make another 33 segment with maybe a different pattern. I'm open for options.

Will my original 4017 question work by adding another 4017 to your circuit?