Tool deals thread?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I have Kobalt sockets and ratchet. I am perfectly happy with sockets (note, they are just chunks of steel). The ratchet has the toggle to switch direction, it does not stay put, I keep finding it moving to the middle or even the other side when I don't want the toggle to move, it might be I am bumping it as I work, bottom line, I am not happy with Kobalt ratchet. So. Kobalt is ok stuff, but it is just that, ok, it is not great. And yes, that is my first and last Kobalt ratchet.

LB1 High Performance Precision Tool Kit for Electronic Devices, Cell Phone Repairs, iPhones, Tablets, Laptops, Computers with 38 Precision Tools

When I bought it in June of 2015, I only paid US$12.95. Not sure if that was some sale price or whether the price was simply raised, but I think it is a good deal, regardless. This has fit the bill on several special occasions when I looked at the screw and said "what the heck is that ?!?!". The last time I used it was with T3 Torx screws on a FitBit - made things much easier and it is a welcome part of my tool collection.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The ratchet has the toggle to switch direction, it does not stay put, I keep finding it moving to the middle or even the other side when I don't want the toggle to move, it might be I am bumping it as I work, bottom line, I am not happy with Kobalt ratchet.
Kobalt hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

I have several different types of ratcheting screwdrivers, but not Kobalt. Never had much problem with the slide switches that control ratchet behavior though...

I bought several of a Black and Decker variant for $2 when a factory outlet was closing.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Kobalt hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

I have several different types of ratcheting screwdrivers, but not Kobalt. Never had much problem with the slide switches that control ratchet behavior though...

I bought several of a Black and Decker variant for $2 when a factory outlet was closing.
My go to brand right now is Tekton. Same or better quality compared to kobalt, and about half the price. I had a couple tekton tools that did not work out for me, but they did not cost me much so I did not mind.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My go to brand right now is Tekton. Same or better quality compared to kobalt, and about half the price. I had a couple tekton tools that did not work out for me, but they did not cost me much so I did not mind.
tekton kit is good to say you have every bit you could ever need.
...so long as all you ever do is drive loose screws.
Do NOT use tekton bits in a drill. Hand tool only, and if a screw is too tight you may even destroy a bit by hand.
I bought a tekton kit for home and one for work.
For home (occasional use by me only and I go easy) I consider it a good deal. For work (daily use by other people who don't baby the tools) I should have bought a better kit.