TL074 alternative

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
I’m looking for something similar to TL074 but with lower noise in DIP. The Opa1679 looks promising but it doesn’t come in DIP. Opa1679 has 0.0001% distortion vs 0.003% tl074. I could use an adapter. But maybe there something else that would do in DIP. This is for a guitar preamp/EQ.
Thanks.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
Pre 2020, thru hole components were already slowly becoming obsolete because of reduced sales volumes. During the great chip shortage, where chip manufacturers struggled to meet the demand, one of the strategies they followed was to make obsolete the chip variants with the lowest sales volume. This almost always meant the thru hole variants.

Thus, as other persons have already stated, the time has arrived for one to become comfortable working with SMT devices.

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
Yeah I get that. I can do SMT, but I’m designing this to be DIY for the DIY guitar pedal community. If successful I’d like to offer this pcb as a kit for people to build themselves.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm not a music guy, so I have no idea what the answer is to this question, but is 0.0001% distortion vs 0.003% really a noticeable improvement. If so, what is that assertion based on? Is the rest of everything really operating as such a low degree of distortion that this is the determining factor in the overall distortion of the system?

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
I'm not a music guy, so I have no idea what the answer is to this question, but is 0.0001% distortion vs 0.003% really a noticeable improvement. If so, what is that assertion based on? Is the rest of everything really operating as such a low degree of distortion that this is the determining factor in the overall distortion of the system?
yeah this is a great question. I don’t know the answer yet. I’ve looked at other high end preamps and EQ circuits that often have OPA opamps so I was just wondering. I know the TL07x family is super solid and been around for decades.

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
I will say that this circuit I’ve developed uses a NE5532 as the initial buffer and gain stage. Then multiple TL074s for all the EQ stages. So I think the NE5532 is more important for low noise since it’s gaining the signal up, at least more significantly than the EQ stages.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I am partial to the BURR-BROWN (now TI) OPA2134 as a replacement for the TL072. I replaced the TL072 with the B-B in my Fender Ultimate Chorus amp and the sound difference is striking, even to my fried ears. The MUSES8920 is supposed to be a bit better but much more expensive and I haven't tried them. Once the lower input noise is locked in, I've come to appreciate the higher slew rates of the upscale amps when driving tone circuits and the like in the few amps I've built.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I’m looking for something similar to TL074 but with lower noise in DIP. The Opa1679 looks promising but it doesn’t come in DIP. Opa1679 has 0.0001% distortion vs 0.003% tl074. I could use an adapter. But maybe there something else that would do in DIP. This is for a guitar preamp/EQ.
Thanks.
But is it a lower noise solution?
TL074 is 18nV/√Hz. That’s the same noise as a 20k resistor.
Assuming a 6kΩ source resistance for the pickup, the noise of the input resistance will dominate as soon as the inductance (about 6H) stops the source resistance appearing in parallel with the amplifier input resistance.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
I don’t want to rain on your parade, but the OPA2134’s PDIP8 version is on last time buy status.
This information is taken directly from Texas Instruments web page.
1699306799825.jpeg

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
September 7, 2024 is the last-time-buy order date from TI.
But TI has a very large minimum order quantity.

Your best bet right now is to attempt to find any remaining inventory from legitimate sources and store them. However the LTB notification was provided a while back, and the remaining inventory may have been already hoarded by component brokers.

Good luck.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Electronic product manufacturers buy most ICs, hobbyists buy only a few.
Manufactures use surface mount ICs now so the DIP ones are being phased out.