Time for a Road Trip

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Well, it's that time again: every couple of years I do the 5-day cross-country drive from Philly out to the West coast to visit my oldest son in the SF Bay area. Thirty years or more ago I would have flown, but that was back when flying was enjoyable and before it became such a goshawful hassle what with the TSA BS and all.
So these days I take my time and drive. Come dawn tomorrow, I'm hittin' the road.

The route out will be my usual one: Philadelphia, Wheeling, Columbus, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver and Grand Junction (all on I-70), then Salt Lake City, Reno, Sacramento and finally Sunnyvale via I-80 and I-680. If traffic over Donner Pass on I-80 is still restricted to 4WD vehicles w/ chains due to snow, I'll get off I-80 at Reno and head south on I-580 through Carson City, then take the Carson Pass Highway (CA Rt. 88) over the mountains to Stockton to pick up I-205 through Livermore to I-680. I might just do that anyway, to see something new and avoid the congestion around Sacramento and Davis.

Most of the route out to California is familiar territory to me as I've gone that way many times, and I've seen just about all there is to see along the way so this trip it'll be little more than a "thunder run" to get to the West coast as expediously as possible.

I'll be in California over the Memorial Day holiday, running around with my son and his GF doing God-know-what (museums, parks, concerts, hiking trails, etc.) and enjoying the fine Bay Area food.

After that, who knows? On the way home I'll probably just wander and sight-see.

One option is to go East to Sacramento then up I-5 through Redding, Medford and Eugene to Portland, then turn East and go up the Columbia River gorge on I-84, then to Boise. From there I'll cut over onto US Rt. 20 & US Rt. 26 and stop and see Craters Of The Moon; I've always wanted to see that place. From there it'll probably be up US Rt. 93 to Missoula, then I-90 to Butte, Bozeman, Billings and Miles City, then Bismarck and Fargo, and I-94 to Minneapolis and Madison. From there I'll probably head South to Chicago, and finally home on I-80.

That route has its pros and cons. On the plus side, I get to see a lot of pretty Pacific Northwest and Cascade Mountain scenery that I've never seen before. On the minus side, once I get out of central Montana I'll be facing 1,000+ miles of driving across flat, totally featureless prairie and I'm not sure whether my sanity (what little I have left) will survive that. It almost didn't survive driving across Texas on I-10 two years ago, so I'm a bit wary.

A second option is to head South from Silicon Valley down to Monterey and Carmel-by-the-Sea and take the Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur to Morro Bay, then turn inland and go through San Luis Obispo and Bakersfield to Barstow and take I-40 home through Needles, Kingman, Flagstaff, Gallup, Albuquerque, Amarillo (big steaks! Yum!), Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville, then home via I-81 and the PA Turnpike. I've been that way a few times, love the Pacific Coast Highway, and there are a few other things I wouldn't mind seeing again along the way. But other than those things, that route is largely "been-there-done-that."

A third option starts out the same as the second, but from Bakersfield I would head northeast into new territory and go across Death Valley (which I've never seen) to Las Vegas (ca-ching!). From there I'd continue northeast on I-15 to Sulphurdale UT where I'd pick up I-70 and head back home that way, through Denver, KC, St. Louis, yaddayadda and so forth. But that would entail a lot of retracing the steps I took on the trip out to California, and I'm not sure I'm up for that.

A fourth option would be to follow Option #2 as far as Needles, then bushwhack my way southeast across Arizona to Phoenix, then home on I-10 through southern New Mexico, Houston, New Orleans and up to Memphis, then pick up Option #2 again from that point. Been there done that too, and wouldn't relish the idea of doing it again.

Which route I pick to go home on will depend on whim, weather and how road-weary I am by that point.

There are only so many ways to get across the central United States, and I've been on most of them (I-10, I-40, I-70, I-80 and I-90). I'm open to suggestions on interesting ways to go and things to do, though, and if anyone has any neat ideas I'm all ears.

In any case, I'm on my way first thing tomorrow morning. TTFN!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you find yourself on I90 in Minnesota and need a distraction, hit the Spam museum. Do NOT bother with the Corn Palace. What a snore.

I’m just south of the WI-IL border near I90, so if you want to stop for a beer or a meal, drop me a line. There are actually a few things worth seeing in the area but you’d never know it from the highway.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I grew up in SoCal and went to school on the East coast. Made similar trips many times, but not in a relaxing way. A little over 60 hours for 3000 miles, solo total elapsed time. Great stuff to see. Meteor crater is worth a visit, but is a little out of the way.

You don't mention your potential route from Bakersfield (my route was LA through San Bernadino). Presumably it is Hwy 58 through Tehachapi, Mohave (Edwards AFB) and on to Barstow. Big wind farm at the Tehachapi pass. Mohave is where Scaled Composites is based. It used to have tours (Voyager airplane days) -- maybe it still does.

Be safe.

John

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hope you are having a safe and enjoyable trip. Take time to smell the roses and as you know from prior trips there are plenty to smell.

Ron

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Thanks, all!

Long day: 700 miles, 11-1/2 hours, but I made it to Terre Haute, Indiana without mishap. I-70 through Ohio was a breeze, but all across Pennsylvania it was in bad shape and here in Indiana the road is just unspeakably bad. Potholes galore!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks, all!

Long day: 700 miles, 11-1/2 hours, but I made it to Terre Haute, Indiana without mishap. I-70 through Ohio was a breeze, but all across Pennsylvania it was in bad shape and here in Indiana the road is just unspeakably bad. Potholes galore!
I had thought that the only state with "heavenly roads" was West Virginia ... but then I drove through Missouri one day

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I had thought that the only state with "heavenly roads" was West Virginia ... but then I drove through Missouri one day
I prolly blinked while I was going through WVa on I-70, I don't remember it. On that road, you're only in the state for a dozen or two miles.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Anymore I consider 700 miles a heck of a good day. Then I am ready for a motel and nice dinner. :)

Ron
My longest segment for the upcoming trip is 9 hours with two main drivers. We plan to enjoy the drive, not grind it out. The last trip out that way we did 12+ hours from Portland to Provo Utah as the first leg. Everything past Ogden was a blur that day.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My longest segment for the upcoming trip is 9 hours with two main drivers. We plan to enjoy the drive, not grind it out. The last trip out that way we did 12+ hours from Portland to Provo Utah as the first leg. Everything past Ogden was a blur that day.
I just hit burnout sooner than the younger days. That plus eventually I have tried every seat position available. :)

Ron