three phase circuit problems

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi

I was able to solve this problem using Δ to Y conversion. For higher resolution, please check this link. How do I solve it directly like without converting the load to wye-connected load? Could you please help me with this? Thank you.

Attachments

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

Here's a quick way to do this i think you will appreciate.

1. Convert all three phases to complex form.
2. Use Nodal analysis.
3. Solve for one phase only which is sufficient since it is a perfectly balanced system.

If you have trouble doing this then try to solve it with all resistors first, and no complex impedances. It's the same procedure, and you may be able to solve it just with resistors, then substitute the complex impedances later With Rx1=R1+j*X1 for example.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi

I was able to solve this problem using Δ to Y conversion. For higher resolution, please check this link. How do I solve it directly like without converting the load to wye-connected load? Could you please help me with this? Thank you.
Since it is a balanced three-phase network, one option is to look at its single-phase equivalent.

But even without known any tricks, you can treat it as exactly what it is -- a linear AC network -- and use Nodal Analysis or Mesh Current Analysis or Superposition or whatever.

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thank you.

Please check the attachment.

Before proceeding any further, I wanted to confirm something. I don't think that one can solve for one phase in case of delta load or delta source without really doing the wye conversion first. Am I right? Thanks.

Attachments