Thought for the day...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I had a boss (Our QA manager) who often referred in furlongs per fortnight, just to keep things light.
The FFF system. Once used in computer science but long replaced by the metric standard of Jiffies.

http://catb.org/jargon/html/M/microfortnight.html
microfortnight: n.
1/1000000 of the fundamental unit of time in the Furlong/Firkin/Fortnight system of measurement; 1.2096 sec. (A furlong is 1/8th of a mile; a firkin is 9 imperial gallons; the mass unit of the system is taken to be a firkin of water). The VMS operating system has a lot of tuning parameters that you can set with the SYSGEN utility, and one of these is TIMEPROMPTWAIT, the time the system will wait for an operator to set the correct date and time at boot if it realizes that the current value is bogus. This time is specified in microfortnights!

Multiple uses of the millifortnight (about 20 minutes) and nanofortnight have also been reported.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
They should be able to have a decent burglar alarm installed for a few hundred U.S. dollars. I used to install alarm systems that would automatically call the police, and I would think that a simple one that protected against a few entry methods would be well worth the money.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
They should be able to have a decent burglar alarm installed for a few hundred U.S. dollars. I used to install alarm systems that would automatically call the police, and I would think that a simple one that protected against a few entry methods would be well worth the money.
That assumes the police will even bother to show up unless a person was murdered. Even that's a big maybe in Portland today.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The dialers that I sold can be programmed to call telephone several different phone numbers. In one example, not only were the police called but also the owners of the business and the guy who ran the burglar alarm company (my partner).

You're right - results may not be consistent from city to city.

Last edited: