Thought for the day...

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I've said it here before, somewhere. It bothers me that some are surprised that one would return a wallet with its contents intact. This should be the expected behavior.
Little over a decade ago I was going to the ATM and the person before me had forgot to take her money (it was around $200) when I called at her and started to walk towards her I saw that she was noticeably nervous. This was after dark and we were the only one around,

She thanked me and I went back to the ATM.

True story.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Last year i went out for a drive to country pub about 50ks away. Got there and the barman happened to be on his mobile . waited , and he told me it was a woman who had put her purse on the roof of her car and drove off. Didn't realise it till she was in town 80kms away. Well, I had a couple of beers, then drove back home and just decided to keep and eye out. Saw something in the grass on the roadside, stopped, and sure enough it was her purse, with heaps of cards (which had spilled out) and cash. It was about half a km from the pub partly hidden in the grass. Just lucky I was going slow and sorta had an eye out for something( I thought it couldn't have travelled far on the roof.)
Went back to the pub and barman called her and she met up at my house to collect her purse. She was greatly relieved to get her goodies back.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Wonderful news but why would someone withdrawal every penny that they own? On top of that not put it in a secure place immediately? I am 57 years old, I suspect I am fortunate enough to have naby times more money than that man. While losing $2000 would be upsetting, it would not be the end of the world for me but not once in my life have I ever had $2,000 in cash on me.. I freak out when I have a large check. When I sold my old house, I deposited the check within 20 minutes of receiving it.

You hear these stories a lot where people lose a large amounts of cash. You have to wonder what they are thinking.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
You hear these stories a lot where people lose a large amounts of cash. You have to wonder what they are thinking.
Really.

I feel rather bad when in the need of carrying unusual amounts with me. Thanks God, less and less frequent in the last five years. Basically I pay everything with my debit card which in the beginning I used just to know what was the balance of my saving account. Go figure...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have found more wallets, IDs and cell phones than I can count. Usually find them on bicycle rides.

The one that pissed me off is when I found a phone on a bicycle path in the city, I tried really hard to contact some people that were listed on the phone. Either they weren't at home or they did not recognize the number. So I continued my ride as I was leading some people through town. I finally got in touch with the husband of the owner. He seemed upset that I had picked up the wallet. I guess I should have left it there to get damaged or stolen by someone not as honest as me, :mad:

Everyone else was really nice and thankful.

And karma works because one I lost my car keys on a leaf covered bicycle path. I look fo t hem but never found them. Thankfully I had a spare (I like those old cars). A week or two later I get a package in the mail. It was my car keys! Whoever found them took the time to go to the grocery store and get my address through my grocery membership.

Lost my wallet at the gym. Long story short, it had to fall in just 2-3 places. I searched could not find it. I reasoned someone picked it. I checked at the desk. No one turned it in. About an hour later I got a call. They had my wallet! I don't know why it took so long to be turned in at the front desk. I would like to think the manager thought that her new prospective member was far more important than someone's wallet and did not tell the desk right away she had it. Or someone just decided to finish their workout before turning it in. Either way I was happy to get it back.

Left $20 in the self checkout line at the supermarket once. Someone turned it in.. The store was able to track me through my membership ID, I was the last to use the machine.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Really.

I feel rather bad when in the need of carrying unusual amounts with me. Thanks God, less and less frequent in the last five years. Basically I pay everything with my debit card which in the beginning I used just to know what was the balance of my saving account. Go figure...

I don't know if I have ever had more than $1,000 on me. and they goes back to the days before debit cards. If I went on a trip, I would use travelers checke.

There are people who have lost 10s of thousands of dollars in cash and gotten it back.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I don't know if I have ever had more than $1,000 on me. and they goes back to the days before debit cards. If I went on a trip, I would use travelers checke.

There are people who have lost 10s of thousands of dollars in cash and gotten it back.
When I was still Captain, upon berthing at Hamburg, a security guard came on board and left on my desk a typical small bag with 63.000 USD to pay various extra jobs done by crew in the last 4 months. While I could feel safe being on board, I took special care to pay everyone immediately. In maybe 30 minutes, 2.000 USD was all I had to put in the safe.

Never before and never again I had such a huge amount of cash in front of me. Once is enough.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
When I was still Captain, upon berthing at Hamburg, a security guard came on board and left on my desk a typical small bag with 63.000 USD to pay various extra jobs done by crew in the last 4 months. While I could feel safe being on board, I took special care to pay everyone immediately. In maybe 30 minutes, 2.000 USD was all I had to put in the safe.

Never before and never again I had such a huge amount of cash in front of me. Once is enough.

Disbursing clerk with cash.

While deployed we were always paid in cash. We would put up with a lot of bad and strange behaviors but the one thing with a zero tolerance was thievery. You could steal a guys girlfriend but you never stole money from a shipmate no matter how wasted he was.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Disbursing clerk with cash.

While deployed we were always paid in cash. We would put up with a lot of bad and strange behaviors but the one thing with a zero tolerance was thievery. You could steal a guys girlfriend but you never stole money from a shipmate no matter how wasted he was.
I take it that stealing money from the man's girlfriend was just as bad? o_O:p

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I take it that stealing money from the man's girlfriend was just as bad? o_O:p
Stealing in general was very bad form and could result in an unfortunate accident but 'girlfriends' were a special category.
If you were not a 'WOG' the penalty of stealing from any 'girlfriend' something that wasn't given by you (getting a ring back from that cheating .... was OK) could be severe but not permanent per the rules of King Poseidan" (Neptune) .:p

Wogs were not so privileged.:(